Thread: IIS basics

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

IIS basics

hello all new to IIS, I am doing an exercise to get familiar with IIS. I would like to create a test website something not expensive then install IIS on my vm machine running win svr 08 r2. I would like to setup IIS on it. I am not clear on what to do first? I know there is a certification process involved, please explain the basic steps example

get a website, install IIS latest version, when do I register the cert? I am guessing the website comes with a cert?
    meaning I would like to the ssl process of new ssl and renewing the ssl.

I'm in learning mode. Thank you for all your help.

ok all update. I think I understand correct me if Im missing something.
    I would like to tie everything into my fqdn for my domain on my server. for example
    thisissocool
    I am thinking I need to create a .com name like example blocked u know what I mean :-) from a site like godaddy or something. then also register it.
    the reason for registering it, is that the registration co. will put it on there dns servers and when folks do a search it will pop up correct?
    ok to do the ssl cert exercise I would have to get an ssl cert which godaddy does as well.
    ok I am guessing in IIS I point to my website and my ssl cert?
    did I miss anything?
    Last edited by arcolino; May 22nd, 2012 at 10:24 PM. Reason: adding more info.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

IIS is part of windows server 2008 not a download.
    Open your administrative tools control panel, then locate the IIS applet. Open it and start reading the IIS online help.

Put off dealing with certificates until you learn the basics of domains, domain registration, dns, IIS, virtual directories, host headers, etc.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo