1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

IIS folder sharing and risk of delete from users.

I have one question. i have developed a IIS / ASP/ Windows 2003 server/MS Access based a small application in my office. Now i have given users Read / Write access on folder specially .mdb file . But problem is this they can access these files easily and delete them too. how can i handle this situation to restrict them to delete file even i dont want to let them open the source files.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Just put the .mdb file somewhere that's outside the web space. The db file doesn't have to be in a user-accessible folder.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  5. No Profile Picture

what about asp and html files

But what about ASP and HTML files. I dont want user to open these files. i mean he should not be able to see the code of these file.

Originally Posted by Doug G
    Just put the .mdb file somewhere that's outside the web space. The db file doesn't have to be in a user-accessible folder.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Unless your server is terribly mis-configured a user can't view .asp file code.

HTML source is always visible to the user, that's what the web server sends to the web browser.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  9. No Profile Picture

thanks for reply.

Thanks for reply, I got answer, I was doing something wrong. I have shared the folder which not required to share.

Originally Posted by Doug G
    Unless your server is terribly mis-configured a user can't view .asp file code.

HTML source is always visible to the user, that's what the web server sends to the web browser.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo