1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

IIS7 Returns 500 When Accessing External Access DB

IIS7 Returns 500 When Accessing External Access DB
    Environment: WIN2008 Server, IIS7, Classic ASP, JScript
    Summary:
    When JScript code on an ASP page attempts to open a MS Access DB located outside the web site root directory, it returns code 500.
    Web site root dir: D:\tools\iisacpt
    MS Access DB located in dir: D:\tools\prod6\data
    Log:
    2010-02-02 19:04:27 10.16.64.58 GET /CorpDir/CorpDirInq.asp f=keith|346|800a0046|Permission_denied 9999 - 172.17.37.8 Mozilla/5.0+(Windows;+U;+Windows+NT+5.1;+en-US;+rv:1.9.1.7)+Gecko/20091221+Firefox/3.5.7+(.NET+CLR+3.5.30729) 500 0 0 609
    Server return:
    Server Error
    500 - Internal server error.
    There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

Attempted resolution:
    Changed permissions of D:\tools\prod6\data so that group IIS_IUSRS has permissions: Read&Execute, Read, write - had no effect on issue.

I am experiencing an issue while trying to have JScript/COM objects access a MS Access DB that resides outside of the web site root. Can someone provide me some tips or hints as to what is wrong or what to look at?

Would appreciate it!!

Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

First in IE turn off 'show friendly http errors' setting and you should then see a more complete description of the error.

A common problem with mdb located outside the web is that the web server user account won't have any permissions at all to the access file. Check the file permissions on your db file.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Doug G
    First in IE turn off 'show friendly http errors' setting and you should then see a more complete description of the error.

A common problem with mdb located outside the web is that the web server user account won't have any permissions at all to the access file. Check the file permissions on your db file.
    Yes - in my IE7 I have 'show friendly http errors' unchecked.
    In the external directory that contains the Access DB I modified the security settings of that folder to:
    Changed permissions of D:\tools\prod6\data so that group IIS_IUSRS has permissions: Read&Execute, Read, write - had no effect on issue.
    This setup worked ok under the old IIS6 server. What other permissions should I be updating?
    Thanks,
    Keith
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Review the authentication settings you're using in IIS. I haven't used IIS7 much, with IIS6 if your server was configured for anonymous web users the IUSR_computername user account needed permissions to files/folders. If you use windows authentication the authenticated user account for the current user needs permissions.
    Last edited by Doug G; February 4th, 2010 at 03:18 PM.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo