1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Intranet dev with SSL on local XP machine with IIS

The thread title pretty much sums it up. I need to develop a PHP/MySQL driven website which will later on run on a remote host by means of a Windows OS or FreeBSD. Anyway, there are files of the current website in use which got a ASP/Access foundation.

The website will be using SSL, so it's accessed through https for 99.9% (only excluding the index.asp at http (port 80))which will redirect them to https.

I'm having heaps of problems to get SSL to work on my local workstation on which I got IIS installed and which is meant for developing the new website. I copied the files from the current ASP website, but I have no idea whatsoever to get SSL to work on my local machine.

Meanwhile the ASP website (which will be PHP later on) uses things like:
    Code:
    If Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_PORT")=443 Then
    but not being able to get SSL work I can't even get the existing website to run on my local machine, not to mention the one I got to develop in PHP.

So... I really need some help here. Does anybody know some sort of step-by-step tutorial to get it to work? It can be quite a bogus certificate as it's just for local development now, but I just need some clear and simple direction to get this part done, so I can focus on the actual development where my strength lies a bit more

I got IIS itself running with ASP and PHP, but not SSL. The SSL field in the IIS website configuration is disabled even. This doesn't mean it's not possible is it? And if so, any way to get around this situation so it will work?

Thanks.... seriously!
    Last edited by Lava; September 21st, 2005 at 08:36 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hmmz... got a tip elsewhere to try using IIS6.0 Resource Kit which apparently can be used for XP with IIS 5.1 as well; besides Win Server 2003. Gonna try and see if that does the trick.
  5. Blowing up trees with my mind.
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Dont you have to have a certificate to use SSL?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes, you need a certificate for SSL and it seems I've found the solution to my problem.

IIS 6.0 Resource Kit got an application named SelfSSL which is used to create a self-signed SSL certificate. It does the trick. (www.somacon.com/p42.php)

It would appear that I googled for some bad keyword as I've found another way now as well. Instead of using the Resource Kit one can use a combination of OpenSSL and ActivePerl to get the certificate part as well.

So for now it seems my problems are solved. If not, I'll post again. Sorry to have bothered people with my request for help, but I hope my answers help out others.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo