1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Link internal servers to external web server

We currently have an external Linux web server running apache. We use GroupWise and are in the process of migrating to Exchange. We also use the Novell iFolder for document storage and are in the process of migrating to SharePoint.

We have set up an extranet IIS 7 Windows Server 2008 Web Server where I’ve recreated the landing page for our site. The landing page will have two hyperlinks for users to go to. One link will go to our existing GroupWise mail server at “groupwise\gw\webacc” (which is on a Linux apache box), and the other link will go to our extranet SharePoint server, which is also located on our extranet web server. We have not migrated to Exchange yet, so it is not in the equation yet. The extranet server can talk to the GroupWise server if we navigate to http://groupwise/gw/webacc.

The problem I am running into is how to make the links work on the outside world. Naturally, internally having a hyperlink to go to http://groupwise/gw/webacc will work, but coming in from someaddress.com it will not work.

What do I need to implement to get users that navigate to our extranet web server at someaddress.com to be able to follow a hyperlink to navigate to our other internal Linux GroupWise mail server?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It sounds like you need to set something up in DNS. It appears you're using windows computer names in your links, and those names won't be accessible from the outside world. There may be some kind of forwarding you could set up in the network, but the outside browser will still need to be able to resolve the hyperlink, and I don't know how an external browser can use your internal network names.

In any case I don't think it's an IIS issue, but I haven't used IIS much since IIS6, maybe there are some fancy new features I don't know.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Doug G
    It sounds like you need to set something up in DNS. It appears you're using windows computer names in your links, and those names won't be accessible from the outside world. There may be some kind of forwarding you could set up in the network, but the outside browser will still need to be able to resolve the hyperlink, and I don't know how an external browser can use your internal network names.

In any case I don't think it's an IIS issue, but I haven't used IIS much since IIS6, maybe there are some fancy new features I don't know.
    I agree that it's not an IIS issue. I've seen some sites that suggest to use a proxy or ISA server for this setup, but don't really go into much detail about how, just to use them.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo