1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Organizing multiple web sites and virtual directories

Simple question here,

I am configuring an IIS 5 server for the first time and am confused as to how to organize my "Web Sites" in the IIS Manager.

This machine will host multiple Web sites, and I would like to use virtual directories to shorten the urls. Simple enough.

What I don't understand is that example after example shows Web Sites, as in a group of files that compose a "site", nested inside the Default Web Site. Why the heck would you ever do that? I'm wondering if these examples I just mentioned are correct or are they misguided?

Secondly, when do I create the virtual directory and where do I place it? I would like to create a new Web Site that contains a virtual directory that points to the actual files. However, when I create a new Web Site through IISM, I have to specify what files make up the site, resulting finally in a Web Site that lists the files and the virtual directory that repeats that listing(after I add the virtual directory).

Here is all I'm looking to do:

c:\Inetpub\site1Folder referenced by alias in IISM
    c:\Inetpub\site2Folder referenced by alias in IISM
    etc etc

I realize I'm making this harder than it actually is, but this seems oddly illogical compared to editing an apache.conf file.

Thanks so much for any help!
    "I'm between quotes right now"
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you have a server version of windows, you can create multiple web sites. The Pro versions of windows only allows one web site.

Create the folder you want for the top of your new web.

Then right-click the default web site in IIS service manager and create a new virtual directory, during the wizard you will be able to browse to the folder you want to use.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I swear those exact steps did not work when I sent this post. Your steps worked for me yesterday, however.

Thanks for the response!
    "I'm between quotes right now"
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The never-ending mysteries of computing

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo