1. The Queen of Typos
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Permissions Problems

I am pulling my hair out! I just recently removed FrontPage Server Extensions from my webserver at work. I hate that we have IIS but I have no control over that, I'm not the boss.

Anyway I've been battling with user permissions ever since.

I have the folder in question set to FULL control for the user group I want to have access (I know not a good idea but nothing else is working at this present moment). I have also created a share on the webserver to this folder and given the group full access on the share as well. The properties are set to read and write on the designated directory tab in IIS manager.

The user keeps getting the following error (see attached screenshot).

Any ideas?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I hate that we have IIS but I have no control over that, ...
    Now there is a comment that's sure to inspire people to respond in an IIS forum

Your problem is with your permission settings, not with IIS. IIS doesn't know about or use your user group if you are set to allow anonymous access. You need to either remove anonymous access in the IIS configuration or change the file permissions on the target folder to allow the IIS user account in.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. The Queen of Typos

Originally Posted by Doug G
    Now there is a comment that's sure to inspire people to respond in an IIS forum

Your problem is with your permission settings, not with IIS. IIS doesn't know about or use your user group if you are set to allow anonymous access. You need to either remove anonymous access in the IIS configuration or change the file permissions on the target folder to allow the IIS user account in.
    Yeah I'm sure my comment didn't help. I just struggle with it, I guess since I'm not used to it and have received no training, but I can figure most things out

Anyway, does the IIS user have to be set even if I have a separate group I need to allow in? I have anonymous access turned off because the site in question is on our company's intranet.

Under authentication methods, enable anonymous access is NOT checked and then I have Integrated Windows Authentication checked for authenticated access.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

With anonymous access turned off IIS will check the current window user that's visiting the site and should impersonate that user.

Maybe there is some other element of your page, like an image or css or js file that doesn't have the proper permissions (if you're still having problems).
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  9. The Queen of Typos

With anonymous access turned off IIS will check the current window user that's visiting the site and should impersonate that user.

Maybe there is some other element of your page, like an image or css or js file that doesn't have the proper permissions (if you're still having problems).
    You know that is one aspect I didn't think about and is a great possibility. I will look into that, thanks!

Edited to add, I checked and there are no external images or css Back to square 1.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

For testing purposes only, you could try adding the user you're testing with into the local administrators group. If your problem goes away after this (and after restarting IIS) then you definitely have a permission setting wrong somewhere.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    --Alfred Bester
  13. The Queen of Typos

For testing purposes only, you could try adding the user you're testing with into the local administrators group. If your problem goes away after this (and after restarting IIS) then you definitely have a permission setting wrong somewhere.
    That is an excellent idea, I'm going to try that.
  15. The Queen of Typos

I finally got it.

I went back and recreated the network mapping to the web folder and now it works.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

I'm happy to hear you got it sorted out.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo