1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Run mod-rewrite in IIS ????

Is it possible to run a mod_rewrite or something similar on a server running IIS?

I want to make URLs more search engine friendly for a website that runs on a server running IIS.

I want to replace dynamic URLs symbols like ?, & and = by dashes "-".

I have used mod_rewrite for other projects before, but they all ran Appache.

What can I do?

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks.

I am facing a major issue here.
    I am already tring to get rid of regular expressions and spaces on the dynamic pages of this site.
    Now I found out that google doesn't like the word ID also cause it may look like a session ID.
    What is ID is just part of a longer parameter like dept_id or sub_id???

Also, how long can a URL be to still be SE friendly.

This website I am talking about has LONG URLs, plus SPACES, plus SYMBOLS, plus word ID.
    It seems like completely SE unfriendly.

Check it out:
    detail.htm?stylepkey=11049&style_id=030%20COMBB0&dept_id=3&deptName=Parts&sub_id=50&subName=Campagno lo%20Parts&lprice=42.98&hprice=42.98

First I just wanted to have a ASAPI rewrite to replaces ?, &, = and spaces by -

Would that be enough?

We also have the problem of the product prices that have dots in it, and also the word ID in some of the paremeters...

Any ideas?

Thanks
  5. No Profile Picture
    Stumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I don't know of a mod-rewrite equivalent in IIS, maybe someone else has gone down that road.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I won't be able to get rid of all spaces. There are spaces on dept names and product names.
    I can't replace the spaces by dashes "-" in those cases. The names come from the database, if I put dashes in there, the product names will be displayed with the dashes on the site.
    So Product Name XYX will be displayed
    Product-Name-XYZ...

Any ideas of how to work around that?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo