1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Can I run two websites on one server?

First I would like to say i do not know much about administering IIS. However, the company I'm working for outsourced someone to setup our company web server. Right now we are getting a 2nd webpage with a different domain name. Our ISP gave us a a range of 6 static IPs.

I was wondering how a novice like me can go about getting the 2nd website up. I know it's definately a faster way to get hosting through another company, but I really want to learn how to do it. Is there any online documentation or walk throughs I can check out? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Have a look at this Microsoft article:

KB Article: 324287
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

As simple as making another folder in your wwwroot folder
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you want your 2nd domain to resolve to a different ip then you'll need to set up your dns server for the domain.

If you want the 2nd site to run on it's own ip then you'll need a server version of windows and you won't need to use host headers. Host headers allow you to run multiple domains independently on a single ip.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the prompt reply....

So if I use the host headers method, my second domain name will still be pointing to the same IP address? That wouldn't be good as I do not want my users to associate the two domain names together... that's why we decided on the 2nd website.

How do I go about doing it with a different IP...
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i would like to know as well...

but you cant get different IPs from the same server...a DNS server may translate each LAN IP to a different domain name but the external IP of one server is just one IP
  13. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

First, resolving the domain name to an IP is a DNS thing, nothing to do with IIS.

Once the domain name resolves to the desired IP address, in IIS on a server OS like W2000 server or W2003 server you can assign both IP's to your network card, and then create a 2nd website that "lives" on the 2nd IP.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo