1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

sc-win32-status non-zero. Now what?

I have been inspecting my IIS web logs and found some files with a non-zero value in the field "sc-win32-status". What does this mean? I can only find a reference to the meaning as follows:
    from Microsoft: "The status of the action, in terms used by Microsoft Windows." This description is meaningless to me.

An example of this problem is our CSS style sheet that is returned just fine 1455 times, but has a value of 64 for "sc-win32-status" on 135 requests, and a value of 1236 for "sc-win32-status" a total of 3 times.

What does this indicate? I can't find ANY reference on this sort of thing through Google.

Can anyone give me some leads?

Signed: Confused
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I don't know, sorry.

Or, if you cross-breed an elephant and a rhinocerous you might come up with an "elephino" (say it aloud)
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  5. No Profile Picture

As taken from:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/com/htm/error_5bhv.asp

net helpmsg 64
    The specified network name is no longer available.

net helpmsg 1236
    The network connection was aborted by the local system.
  7. No Profile Picture

I have the same error "The specified network name is no longer available" appearing in my IIS log and I found this post. I was wondering whether there was any more information that could be provided about the causes of this error. We have IIS 6 running on a NLB cluster running on Win 2003 SP1 which runs in the UK and links via a firewall and router in the UK over a 2Mb VPN to Sydney and then out via a router firewall, proxy, firewall to a companies internal IE 6 browser. These users experience a variety of errors but the most sever was a period of two minutes where their IE sessions just froze. This coincided with all 3 servers in the NLB cluster running IIS going to 100% processor utilisation and also the presence of this 64 "The specified network name is no longer available" in the IIS log. Any thoughts on what might cause this error and whether it could be cause or symptom of the processor 100%??
  9. No Profile Picture

What causes this error?

Has any one figured out what causes error 1236?

I've got a strange problem indeed. Every week or so, my users in NY on macs(OS X) using Entourage and/or Safari, cannot get their mail from an Exchange Server in Europe. NY is connected to Exchange Server in Europe via VPN tunnel. The logfile is reporting error 1236 when trying to load the "navbar".

What's weird is my Mac users in Europe do not have a problem getting their mail, it's just New York, and furtherly weird is the PC users in NY are able to get their mail. And even weirder, after rebooting the Exchange Server the problem goes away, but will come back again in a weeks time.

What is the cause of the error 1236?

Thanks for any help.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

A year and a half later, I still have no idea, sorry.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  13. No Profile Picture

I am having the same problem. Has there been any resolution in the 2+ months since the last post? Or if no resolution, at least an explanation of what is happening and why it is happening?

Client/Server Info:
    Windows 2003 Server
    Windows SharePoint Services web site
    User clicks to download a large PowerPoint file (1.48 MB) and gets "page cannot be displayed" in IE (IE 6.0 running in W2K Pro)

sc-status = 200
    sc-substatus = 0
    sc-win32-status = 64

Thanks!
  15. No Profile Picture

Somebody founds the solution

I'm facing the same problem.

sc-status = 200
    sc-substatus = 0
    sc-win32-status = 64

Any solution/workaround ?
  17. No Profile Picture

What Microsoft told me....

We were seeing sc-win32-status 64 on a fresh install of a new server with IIS for the /pagerror.gif that comes with "Under Construction" default IIS page. After finding nothing meaningful on the Microsoft website I opened a support case asking where sc-win32-status is documented and what it means in an IIS access log. Here is what Microsoft told me:

About Win 32 Status Codes
    ==============================
    You can check what Win 32 Status Codes mean by typing the following command at the command prompt

net helpmsg <Win32 Status Code>

About the Win 32 Status Code 64
    ===============================
    Win 32 Status code 64 means “The specified network name is no longer available.”
    In client server, architecture after IIS has sent final response to client typically it waits for ACK message form client.
    Now certain clients instead of sending final ACK back to server, resets the connections that are not
    and graceful connection close and hence IIS logs “64” in IIS logs.
    Many clients will reset the connection when they are done with it,
    to free up the socket instead of leaving it in TIME_WAIT/CLOSE_WAIT.*
    Proxies tend to do it more than others do; hence, win 32 status code should be reviewed only if necessary.
  19. No Profile Picture

Hi there...
    After 4 years i have encountered the same issue.
    I have an website on IIS (Win 2003 SP2) used for synchronization data and from time to time i have encountered the Win 32 Status Code 1236.
    The client for this website is a pocket device (with a GPRS sim card).

I have found a solution for this...the minfilebytespersec setting
    READ THIS:
    The MinFileBytesPerSec metabase property determines the length of time that the client has to receive the server’s entire response to its request. If the client computer does not receive the entire HTTP response within the interval set by the time-out value (by default, 240 bytes per second), HTTP.sys terminates the connection. You can apply this connection timeout only at the WWW service level.
    Configuring the MinFileBytesPerSec metabase property prevents a client computer from sending a request for a large response (such as a file download) and then receiving the response at a maliciously slow rate that is meant to consume resources on the server and potentially interrupt service for other client computers.
    The time-out period is calculated by dividing the size of the entire response (including headers) by the value of the MinFileBytesPerSec property to obtain a maximum allowable response time, in seconds. For example, a 2 KB response (2,048 bytes) is allowed 8.5 seconds to complete if MinFileBytesPerSec has the default value of 240 bytes per second.
    To accommodate very slow applications, you can disable the MinFileBytesPerSec property by setting the value to 0.

to set the proper value FOR iis 6 :
    run this in cmd(supposing that your default location C:\Inetpub\AdminScripts) :
    cscript adsutil.vbs set w3svc/MinFileBytesPerSec 0

if you want to check the value
    cscript adsutil.vbs get w3svc/MinFileBytesPerSec

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo