1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Setting up website to be viewable from inside intranet

Hello,

I have setup a website on a server running IIS 7. The server is on an office network. I'm wondering how users can access the site from other computers on the network; that is, without having to go out to a DNS machine and then coming back to the server hosting the website on the network.

If I go onto a machine on the network (not the server), I'm not sure what to type into the URL. Is it something like "//servername/websitename"? What do I have to setup in IIS 7 to be sure this will work? I know that the login page will show up from within IIS 7 (clicking on Browse *:80 (http)). Now I just need it to show up from other computers on the network.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you don't have multiple vhosts (i.e., you're not using host headers) you can refer to your IIS server by it's IP rather than name. If you've tried this and have problems, you may have a restriction in your firewall preventing "loop back" connections from inside your LAN
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks,

It seems I can type in //domain/ (with the .com) and access the website from another computer on the network.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo