Thread: Truncating data

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Truncating data

I am running two 2003 servers that should be the same. I have a site that is running on both servers, simple asp code with some java script. As I said they are both the same. On the one server it is truncating the data as you can see here,

Code:
    <td valign=top>Notes&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</td> <td colspan=2><textarea name=Notes wrap="virtual" cols=65 rows=18 class="setBGColor" onchange="recordChanged();" onkeyup="saveCaretPos();recordChanged1();" onmouseup="saveCaretPos();">I met with C</textarea></td> </tr>
    "I met with C" should have been a lot more lines. The other server works just fine and displays the complete data. I am thinking this is a server side issue some setting I am missing. Does anyone know of a reason this would happen?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You just posted some browser HTML which seems complete. If you say something is missing from the line you posted you need to be looking at the server code that's generating the html.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

From what I can tell it seems the data that I am getting from this variable, cvNotes=myCOM.Notes which is being pulled from oracle database is only getting the first 12 characters.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by mks7
    From what I can tell it seems the data that I am getting from this variable, cvNotes=myCOM.Notes which is being pulled from oracle database is only getting the first 12 characters.
    This means nothing to me, I have no idea what mycom.notes object is.

You'll have to review all your code to determine the problem. The oracle db may have an incorrect column definition. Your oracle drivers may be the problem. Your object that holds the data may be loading incorrectly. Your code that generates the html may be chopping off data.

I don't use Oracle, something in the connection between your code and the oracle db is my guess, but that's really just a pure guess on my part.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo