1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

virtual directories on another machine

Hi guys... I am trying to share out a directory on another machine but when I browse for the directory when adding it in IIS, the "ok" button is greyed out for any shared folder on another machine on my network.

What am I doing wrong?

I have IIS running on my primary machine and everything has been running fine for over a year now, but recently I decided to move some of the data to a second "server" machine. I'd like to have IIS running on my primary machine, but have access to folders on the second machine through ftp.

Thanks in advance for any help, and feel free to ask questions, I am not sure what info you need to help me.

Thanks again
    Matt
  3. No Profile Picture

Ok, I just read that back and I was writing kind of hurridly...

Let me try to clarify the situation.

I have two machines, 1 and 2. 1 has been running an ftp servier using IIS for over a year and it works fine. I understand the basics and was able to set it up on my own.

Two of the virtual directories no longer live on 1. They now live on 2. So I am on 1 and I have accessed the IIS management thingy and I am trying to add the two directories as virtual directories again, only this time when I browse for them, I am looking for a shared directory on 2. I can see the directory on 2 just fine, but the "OK" button is greyed out, so I cannot select/add it.

Can you suggest anything that I have missed?

Thanks all.

Matt.

P.S. I am new here.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I think you can used mapped drives to house virtual directories. I don't know if you can use unc paths.

The web server user account is typically a local user account on the web server, and typically will have no access to a 2nd computer. You can create an identical user account with an identical password on the 2nd box and give that user proper permissions to the files you want to use.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the response Doug.

I have one user account on the second machine, which just happens to be identical to the user account on machine 1, with the exception that on machine 2 it is not PW protected, but on machine 1 it is.

IIS can see the directory I want to add as a virtual directory, but the "ok" button is greyed out.

I tried other shared dirctories and all directories that machine 1 can see as "network places" (incidentally the root of the drive that contains the directory I want to add on machine 2 has been mapped to a drive letter on machine 1) have the "ok" button greyed out. As soon as I browse to a local folder the "ok" button becomes available again.

Actually the real problem is that I can't seem to be able to install IIS on the second machine. Keeps asking me for my XP SP1 disc, but the disc I have doesn't seem to work. Ideally I would prefer to take this route, and completely migrate the ftp server to machine 2. Any thoughts on that one?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Make sure you are an administrator user when you install IIS. I've never had any problems installing IIS on XP Pro.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  11. No Profile Picture

Good news, using the combination of two non-SP1 discs, some files from the "service pack files" directory on my machine at work, and from the "system32" directory of machine 1, I was able to get IIS installed on machine 2. It's working and everything is hunkydory.

Thanks for your input...

Mattduk

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo