1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

W3SVC and IIS in Admin Tools not starting

Hello Everybody,

I recently bought a Thinkpad Z60m with Pentium M 1.73GHz, 512 MB RAM and 80 GB HD. It came preloaded with XP Home. Since I have a licensed version of XP Pro. I upgraded the OS and then installed IIS.

I installed only the Common Files, Documentation, IIS Snap-In and WWW Service.

However, IIS is not working properly. When I try to set IIS Admin and WWW services to Automatic, IIS Admin starts fine but "World Wide Web Publishing(W3SVC)" is stuck at "Starting" and the status does not change even after a while. When "World Wide Web Publishing(W3SVC)" is in "Starting" I cannot access IIS from the Admin tasks.

When I set "World Wide Web Publishing(W3SVC)" to Manual and I start that service, it starts fine but when I try to start the server from IIS in Admin Tools I get the error "Unexpected error 0xffe2740 occurred".

I have tried un-installing and re-installing IIS but still it does not work.

What should I do so IIS works fine? It was having none of these problems in my earlier TP laptop.

Please help me.

Regards,
    Satish
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Try turning off any firewall software then rebooting. Also make sure your filesystem is ntfs and that you have turned off "simple file sharing"
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    I've never been able to appreciate the sublime arrogance of folks who feel they were put on earth just to save other folks from themselves .." - Donald Hamilton
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thank you Doug

Yes, I turned off Symantec Security Firewall and it worked. I did not investigate the other settings.

But why does it happen? The Firewall does not like IIS?

Regards,
    Satish
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You'll have to ask Symantec, I don't know.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    I've never been able to appreciate the sublime arrogance of folks who feel they were put on earth just to save other folks from themselves .." - Donald Hamilton

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo