1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Making Local Machine a WebServer...Problems

Well, I posted before in another thread, but I will try again.

I am running XP Pro, installed IIS, checked to make sure it could run scripts (I plan on running .asp). The problem I am having now is that when I type in my IP address, I get the username/password dialog box. I set up IIS to have anonymous login, what should be the user name? should I have IIS determine the password (the check box)?

Any help would be appreciated. I know this may seem like a simple thing to establish, but it is driving me nuts.

Thanks to the others that have helped me thus far (Doug).

Frank
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

When you get an authentication box in your web browser it's usually because the user account of the web server doesn't have permissions to the page file or one of it's linked files.

Try this:

Make a folder in \InetPub\wwwroot\ (or somewhere else your disk if you're adventurous). Open the IIS service manager (Administrative Tools) and navigate to the default web site. Right click the default web site and choose New Virtual directory. Give the virtual directory an alias name (like test1). When prompted for the actual folder location, browse to the folder you created. Finish the wizard taking the default answers

create a page test1.asp in the folder you create with <% response.write "this is test1" %>

Open your web browser to http://localhost/test1/test1.asp

You should see "this is test1" in your browser, and you should not be prompted for authentication (assuming you allow anonymous use of your web server which is the default way IIS is set up).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo