1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy IIS reporting SSL config error

Team,
    Our server crashed during a storm. We had it back up after an hour, and everything came up fine. However, our web site is now experiencing an error, as follows:

"One of the IP/Port combinations for site 'xxxx' has already been configured to be used by another program. The other program's SSL configuration will be used.".

this error is reported by the W3SVC, as Event ID: 1114.

Site works perfectly fine without SSL enforced. Certificate is still valid. We tried deleting the site, and restoring from a backup file, but still the same error. We tried deinstalling and re-installing IIS, with same problem. Our website is the sole site on the server, except for the default web site, which is stopped. Any ideas?

Regards,

LA.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Do you have some other program on the server that's using the same port?
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Doug G
    Do you have some other program on the server that's using the same port?

I considered that, but after doing a quick "netstat", I could not find anything listening. I tried telnetting to port 443 and port 80 while all web sites are stopped, and got no response.

I'm going to hack around with it tonight and hopefully turn something up. I grabbed tcpview from Sysinternals, hopefully it'll be something silly. I came up with only two hits on this error doing a Google....those hits are both indexed errors on Microsoft's site. No description or known bugs.

Regards,

LA.
  7. No Profile Picture

One quick question....is there a method of doing a very clean de-install of IIS? I'm wondering if there is a registry entry or config file out there somewhere that is hanging around after the deinstall. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

LA.
  9. No Profile Picture

Ok, finally figured it out. For some reason, the section where you specify the ports had my correct IP for port 80, and <all assigned> for port 443. This will cause SSL to fail. You MUST specify the IP for the SSL port or it will fail.

Now I'm going to go wash that back with a scotch...I have one hell of a headache.

Regards,

LA.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Thanks for posting the results of your troubleshooting!
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo