1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

SITES on IIS 6 / SBS 2003

I'm familiar with basic sites, cgi, ssi and flash on apache servers.

I resently set up a Windows Server w/ SBS 2003 at home and I'm lost with IIS 6!

I am able to access my server on port 80 using my URL www.kp81.com. however the sbs default web site comes up.

I think I need help in setting up kp81.com site on sbs to open properly. Also I need help in understading where do I place the index (or default pages) of my site and how is cgi and where are the cgi directories. I hope to get this site up with simple text info, a forum like this and guest book entries. I believe sbs 2003 supports all of that. If not I will be back with questions on installing php and mysql.

In apache I have been able to place the index files in the public folders and cgi in the cgi bin. The cgi scrip ran and my sites were ok when hosted elsewhere.

Most Important Please direct me to the proper free training to installing files on a IIS 6 web site and help me set up access to my site on my home server.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If IIS6 on SBS is similar to IIS5 on W2K, open your web browser to http://localhost/iishelp and you should get the IIS documentation.

In general, create folders for your web, typically under \inetpub\wwwroot
    Use the IIS MMC to turn your folder into a virtual directory.
    Add files. IIS usually assumes default.htm, default.asp as default pages, in the IIS MMC you can add additional default document names like index.html

In W2K, the IIS MMC is in Administrative Tools. SBS2003? Maybe the same.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo