1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Application popup: w3wp.exe - Application Error

Hello

I have a VB.net application using web services running on a 2003 windows server. I have been getting the following message in the event viewer.
    " Application popup: w3wp.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x73585d55" referenced memory at "0x00000018". The memory could not be "read"."

Any idea on what is causing this problem?
    This is related to the IIS worker process.

Thank you
  3. No Profile Picture
    Stumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

My best guess is you have some code probelm in your net application, or in any custom com controls you may be using. On previous versions of windows the error message is, I believe, caused by hard-to-see code errors. I have a sample VB6 project that can generate a similar windows error and crash the vb ide, for example, and it's caused by a problem in my code.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    It is a truism of American politics that no man who can win an election deserves to. --Trevanian, from the novel Shibumi
  5. No Profile Picture

Doug,

Do you know is there is any tool out there that would help me find the problem in the code? or do you any other way of finding what the problem is?

thank you
  7. No Profile Picture

Same problem

Originally Posted by glorioso
    Hi Doug,

I've exactly the same problem glorioso has. Only the error memory address is different. Can't find any clue.

The problem raised after installing a site running on .Net Framework 2.0. I have to run it inside a different application pool.

thank you
    Ettore

9. No Profile Picture

W3WP.exe error

If you are using Network Service to run your sight you might get this error " Application pop-up: w3wp.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x73585d55" referenced memory at "0x00000018". The memory could not be "read"."
    or an error similar to it. This is caused when the .NET\Framework\<version #>\webengine.dll crashes. This is do to the fact that The Network Service does not have special permissions to .net registry settings. Please do the following steps to fix the problem:
    Navagate to
    1.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASP.NET_2.0.50727\Names (or whatever version of .NEt framework you have.
    2.Start Regedit and navigate to that key.
    Right-click "Names" and select Permissions on the context menu.
    Click Add and enter NETWORK SERVICE, click "Check Names" and click "Ok".
    With NETWORK SERVICE highlighed in the "Groups or User Names" list click "Advanced"
    On the "Advanced Security Settings for Names" dialogue highlight NETWORK SERVICE and click "Edit"
    In the "Permission entry for Names" dialogue check the "Name" box is showing "NETWORK SERVICE" and put check marks against "Query Value", "Set Value", "Create Subkey", "Enumerate Subkeys", "Notify" and "Read Control".
    Click Ok on all the dialogues and close regedit.

Ensure your application pools are reconfigured to run as NETWORK SERVICE (or at least all the ones you want to be) and restart them

On subsequent restarts the w3wp.exe crash should not occur.

-Hope this works for you

Originally Posted by glorioso
    Hello

I have a VB.net application using web services running on a 2003 windows server. I have been getting the following message in the event viewer.
    " Application popup: w3wp.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x73585d55" referenced memory at "0x00000018". The memory could not be "read"."

Any idea on what is causing this problem?
    This is related to the IIS worker process.

Thank you

Comments on this post

• DemonIT agrees : Thank you :)
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Adzstar88
    If you are using Network Service to run your sight you might get this error " Application pop-up: w3wp.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x73585d55" referenced memory at "0x00000018". The memory could not be "read"."
    or an error similar to it. This is caused when the .NET\Framework\<version #>\webengine.dll crashes. This is do to the fact that The Network Service does not have special permissions to .net registry settings. Please do the following steps to fix the problem:
    Navagate to
    1.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASP.NET_2.0.50727\Names (or whatever version of .NEt framework you have.
    2.Start Regedit and navigate to that key.
    Right-click "Names" and select Permissions on the context menu.
    Click Add and enter NETWORK SERVICE, click "Check Names" and click "Ok".
    With NETWORK SERVICE highlighed in the "Groups or User Names" list click "Advanced"
    On the "Advanced Security Settings for Names" dialogue highlight NETWORK SERVICE and click "Edit"
    In the "Permission entry for Names" dialogue check the "Name" box is showing "NETWORK SERVICE" and put check marks against "Query Value", "Set Value", "Create Subkey", "Enumerate Subkeys", "Notify" and "Read Control".
    Click Ok on all the dialogues and close regedit.

Ensure your application pools are reconfigured to run as NETWORK SERVICE (or at least all the ones you want to be) and restart them

On subsequent restarts the w3wp.exe crash should not occur.

-Hope this works for you
    I have the same problem has anyone tried this solution and if so what were your results?
  13. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up It Works!!!

Thank you Adzstar88, this has been driving me NUTS!!!!

Excellent and detailed explanation also.

Thank you!

J.
  15. No Profile Picture

Thanks Adzstar88

i have been struggling with the issue....Your suggestion worked perfectly.

I think I did it before but...this made me go and sure enough I didnt have the correct permissions for .NET 1.14...

thanks again.
  17. No Profile Picture

I've exactly the same issue. The difference in my case: I cannot run the application pools with the NETWORK Service Account, I've there an Active Directory Account to run the application pool. So, I tried to give this Account the necessary permissons on the .Net Regkey. But this doesn't worked for me. Do I have to do something else in this case?

Thx and regards
    sandsturm
  19. No Profile Picture
    Stumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by sandsturm
    I've exactly the same issue. The difference in my case: I cannot run the application pools with the NETWORK Service Account, I've there an Active Directory Account to run the application pool. So, I tried to give this Account the necessary permissons on the .Net Regkey. But this doesn't worked for me. Do I have to do something else in this case?

Thx and regards
    sandsturm
    Hi and welcome to the forum. But you may not get an answer, this thread is 3 years old

I don't know myself, sorry.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    It is a truism of American politics that no man who can win an election deserves to. --Trevanian, from the novel Shibumi

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo