1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Browse default website

Hi,
    I have installed IIS to my machine .When I tried to browse the default website(pointed to webroot) ,it is showing as page cannot be displayed. When I unchecked the custom message option, it shows 'server application error.' I need this to be fixed to run my web applications
    Any help is appreciated.
  3. Jealous Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by iis123
    I need this to be fixed to run my web applications
    Nah, you got that backwards. You need to fix your web application to browse the site.

The error page will show you (a) the source of the problem, or (b) a message telling you how to get the page to show the source.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Depending on the version of windows, you may need to adjust file permissions on the root web files to get your own pages to run. Just a guess. And try turning off 'show friendly http errors' in your browser (if you're using IE) you may get a more detailed error message.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The message I got after turning off the 'friendly error msg' option in IE is the 'server application error'. I hope after installing IIS, if we right click on the default website and select option 'browse' OR if we give http://localhost/ in browser, it should show some default page if it is pointing to webroot. But this is not happening.Do we need to set any option to get this?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Check the server logs and find more information on your error. Without more info it's hard to say what the problem is, and just saying "it's not happening" doesn't provide any clue either.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo