August 24th, 2010, 02:55 PM
IIS IE7 HTTP SSL Certificate errors
Yes you read the title right, SSL certificate errors over an http connection.
On Friday the 13th, just passed, a certificate expired on our network and the site wasn't available for some time. This server was set up with a self signed SSL certificate that had expired. The error is that it's an expired certificate.
Two other servers, also set up with VeriSign SSL certificates which don't expire until 2018, had the same issue but the issue is that the address doesn't match. However, HTTPS is not set up on the servers yet and all connections are over HTTP. This is causing problems as we generate reports in our web app using Active reports and the content gets blocked and since it's in an IE Modal Windows, there is no yellow bar to notify you.
Does anyone have any ideas or require any more information. Servers are 2008 with IIS7 being used in classic mode. I can provide any information you need but I cannot seem to fix this issue. The weird part is not all reports in modal windows have this effect. I have to set my dev machine up again as I broke everything trying to get my dev machine set up with a self signed certificate and trying anything I could to fix this issue. I did something to make it so no reports work on my system but that's an active reports issue because I wasn't aware that it was an SSL certificate error when I started trying to fix it after I got back from vacation.
August 25th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Seems to be a bug in a 3rd party dll.
August 26th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Thanks for posting an update, I had no clue about your problem.
I've never been able to appreciate the sublime arrogance of folks who feel they were put on earth just to save other folks from themselves .." - Donald Hamilton
August 26th, 2010, 11:28 AM
There seems to be something in the 3rd party DLL that has a bug. It's a report viewer called Active Reports. There is a line of code you must use to select the report viewer type. IE PDF, XLS, DOC, CSV, etc. In this case we haven't selected one and for about 2 years at least, it has been working without one(I checked earlier builds). All of a sudden we were getting certificate errors and by resolving these errors I guess it did something to select a viewer type but without it then we were getting the red x that means 'image/content file missing' in IE.
Originally Posted by Doug G
Anyway, I've fixed it and we're ready to go. Thanks for following up.