1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

IIS6 mulitple ips

I have multiple websites running on IIS6/Server2003 with three ip addresses on the nic - the parent and default website as well as some development sites using host headers, another child, and a potential new child website. In dns, I have the main server A record. I have another ip for our intranet and an A record in dns for that one also. It's working fine.

But, when I try to add one more, it won't work. The development asp.net site is fine using the default ip and host headers. I added an A record for the new website. When I ping the website's ip, it resolves fine. When I ping the website name, it resolves to the website's ip. When I do an nslookup, it resolves through the correct dns server to the dns name/ip of the website.

On the web server, the child website comes up fine. But on the dns server, I get the generic Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage, Most likely causes: •You are not connected to the Internet. •The website is encountering problems. •There might be a typing error in the address.

I changed the dns setting from an A record to a alias CNAME record. A ping of the child website's ip address (e.g. 110.10.10.2) resolves perfectly. a ping of the child website's name resolves to the parent server (110.10.10.1), which has the child and parent on the nic card. nsLookup resolves to the parent server ip (110.10.10.1) Since I have the ip on the nic, the ip in the IIS6 setup with a host header name, this would make sense.

Now, however, I get the root web on every browser I try. The IIS properties clearly point to a different physical folder. Just in case it was some kink in the compile. I removed all files and put a generic default.htm in the folder saying "hello". I rebooted the server and it still goes to the root web. I told it to log, but no files are created in the IIS log and no files are in the Application event log on the server.

Any ideas?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Are both sites being hosted on the same server (sorry if I missed that part)?

If so, your child site shouldn't be resolving to a different IP than the IP of the server (I wouldn't think) hosting it. Couldn't you adjust the host header values to have multiple sites on the same IP; and on port 80?

Check out the following article , it may help you.
  5. No Profile Picture

I would use the same ip, but I need to apply an ssl certificate which requires it's own ip. I've got another website on the same server doing the same thing and I haven't found a difference between them. I'm stumped.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You did say you verified dns queries to your child site were resolving to the proper IP correct?
  9. No Profile Picture

I wound up fixing it by stopping the http services and then manually editing the registry keys for ListenOnlyList and then restarting the services. Everything works fine now. Sheessh!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Out of curiosity what were the values the reg key(s) was set to, and what did you have to adjust?
  13. No Profile Picture

Basically, it listed the two ips that were working, but didn't have the third that was specifically shown in the gui for the network card and iis. I simply added the ip that I wanted for the new website.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo