1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Angry Win2k3 IIS6.0 to Win2k3 IIS6.0

Here's the main problem: I have never worked with IIS before other than doing IISRESETs. I am a server hardware guy who have been tasked to migrate a website from one server to another.

With that being said, I've checked the Microsoft Help pages for migrating IIS, I've checked the migration utility, I've also browsed the web for solutions but I can't seem to find a solution for my "particular" task.

I am not migrating all of my IIS configuration or websites. I am also not trying to migrate to a new server. The server I am migrating to is already an active web server with sites configured on IIS. What I need to do is migrate a single site on a Windows 2003 Server running IIS6.0 to another Windows 2003 Server running the same IIS6.0 version.

I've uploaded a screenshot of my IIS on the old server on FLICKRdotCOM/photos/29007481@N02/5693829964/in/photostream (I'm a newbie so I can't paste the exact URL). I basically need to move only the CubeStatus2 site. Users access this site by typing the server name: http://BAP020/CubeStatus2/WebForm2.aspx so no DNS changes need to take place. They can be informed to just go to the new server name/CubeStatus2/WebForm2.aspx.

So the golden question is...How the heck do I move it??? Please?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'd just make the desired new virtual directory on the target server, copy over the web files, and make sure any necessary supporting objects or databases are properly installed on the new server.

You could as your backup admin, since basically you'd be doing a backup and restore.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo