1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Expose an intranet asp application to internet

Hi,
    I have 4 intranet application that resides in IIS. The applications are simple and they have been made with classic asp. But there is a need one of them to expose it to our client outside the company. We have a pool of IP's (because we have a mail server-ms exchange) and we use one of IP's for the web server that IIS resides. So for this IP we made a port forwarding in router for port 80 to the web server. How must the IIS be configured to response also in internet requests?
    How our client will type the URL in his browser?
    Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

My recommendation is you investigate setting up a VPN for your external client. Exposing your intranet to the outside world opens up new worlds of insecurity.

Otherwise it sounds like you've already opened your internal iis site, if you're having problems also check the firewall settings on your web server.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi,
    thank you for your response. I think VPN but it is not in our choices. We don't have the "know-how" and the client's PCs are too many and we will create great inconvenience for a very simple application to our client. About security we will restrict the IP's in our router to our client's IP.
    About firewall you meant router firewall not web server firewall because the application already play in the intranet but not in the internet. In the intranet I have made an alias in IIS 6 (win2003) such: "application name.company name.local". What have to do for the internet? Can I request: IP/.../page.asp? And what have to do in IIS for the section /.../.
    My admin told me that he made a port forwarding in port 80 in router (cisco). He issue a command: "tracert IP" and show that it reach our router. But how can we check that the request reach the web server. How can we check the port forwarding? How can we check if there is a communication between router and web server in port 80?
    Thanks
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

How can we check the port forwarding? How can we check if there is a communication between router and web server in port 80?
    One way is to use the command-line telnet program from an outside computer. From a command prompt use

telnet <mysiteurl> 80

and see if you get a response from the web server. Or use a service like shieldsup from grc.com to see if port 80 is responding. You check port forwarding in your router by visiting your router configuration program.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  9. No Profile Picture

Thank you very much. I tried the shieldsup and I found that the port 80 was closed. After that I began a research why and I found that the gateway was wrong. It was in the second internet connection (router) and not in the router that the port forwarding was (!!!).
    Ok... now when I type the static IP from the internet it opens the iisstart.htm page from the default site. But how can I configure to show the one of the 4 intranet sites?
    For the time being we have changed the default site path to the path of the application. But if I will need in the future second application to expose?
    The problem is that we want to expose one or more applications that resides on the intranet as different sites on IIS with the same esoteric server IP (192.168.1.19) but with different name making the resolution in our esoteric DNS.
    If for each app we had a separate domain name for the internet everything will be alright. But we want to expose them from the same IP without domain name.
    So, how can I add a qualifier after the address that identifies each application (intranet site).

Thanks again
  11. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

I don't think you can access different virtual hosts by IP. Look into the documentation on host headers, maybe there is some way I don't know.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo