1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hosting on a temporary URL in Microsoft IIS

Good day, I have been given a project to handle by my boss. The project is to design a new website for my company. The website is now ready and what is left is to put it out live on the internet. however, there is an existing domain name that the new website will take over from but before we do that my boss wants me to put the new website on a temporary url for everyone in the company to view and then make necessary comments and criticism for proper adjustment if needed. I am to host the website on a Microsoft IIS Server. I am new to Microsoft IIS and to website hosting generally and I do not know how to go about hosting the new webiste on a temporary URL on IIS. Can anyone be of help and give me a clue on how to go about this.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You seem to have a lot of studying and learning ahead. Google can be your friend. Research how to obtain domain names, how to provide DNS for your name(s), how to choose a hosting server for web and other services you offer.

For running your own server, learn how to properly configure your network and internet connection, how to do backups and how to make your server secure.

Once you understand all that you'll find you just create a host record or alias in your DNS pointing to a testing IIS server and there you go.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo