1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Strange ip address domain name issue

I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 running IIS7 with an issue I have never run across before. For some reason the sites will load using the domain name but NOT the associated ip address.

For example:

http://(domain)/page works

http://(ipaddress)/page returns 404

I have of course seen the reverse to be true when DNS is not configured correctly but never the other way around. This server was working correctly at one point. I have no idea when this problem appeared as I rarely if ever use the ip address format.

I am stumped. I know the ip addresses are correct. I can access files from the local network using the network names or ip addresses. I have double checked the DNS configurations.

What am I missing here? There are some rare instances when I need to use the ip address format from a web browser.
  3. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

In your bindings you probably have the site setup so it only responds if the host is set to your domain. If it's not set it probably serves a default site. I'm not familiar enough with IIS config to guide you exactly how to fix this but if you're wanting to use either the IP or domain to access the site then clear out the host in your bindings config.
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Asked and answered elsewhere by Keith Longmead:

That's to be expected if you have more than one website configured in IIS. Each website must have a unique identity, made up of the host address, ip address and port number, so in most cases where the webserver only has a single IP address and will obviously be using port 80 the host name must be different.

If you have only one website, or your website has it's own IP address you can make it accessible via IP. Simply add another identity ... but this time only assign it the IP address and port number, leave the host header value empty. As long as that combination is unique you'll be able to access the website using the IP address. If it's not unique you'll get an error preventing you from adding the identity, at which point you'll need to find which site it's conflicting with.
    This easily solved the issue. Thanks again.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo