1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Indexing service and characterization

I have set up a new catalogue on indexing service and I am using classic ASP to search this catalogue with my query quite basic:
    Code:
    SELECT Path, characterization FROM SCOPE() WHERE FREETEXT('uniqueword')
    My search works fine as in the uniqueword is only on 1 page (in the copy) and this 1 page is returned in the results.

However when I try to output characterization onto the page nothing is displayed. From what I have read characterization is a standard property of indexing service, so I assumed it should work right out the box rather than having to set up anything in addition.

Can anybody advise in this case?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

From what you posted you know a lot more about indexing service than I do, hopefully someone who knows will spot this thread and jump in.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    I've never been able to appreciate the sublime arrogance of folks who feel they were put on earth just to save other folks from themselves .." - Donald Hamilton
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Found this article in the end which solved my issues:
    www.jaydobson.com/blog/indexing-service-blank-or-null-characterization-field.aspx

Turns out there is some further setup of the service required
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Thanks for posting what you found out, I'm sure users of IIS and index service will find it helpful.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    I've never been able to appreciate the sublime arrogance of folks who feel they were put on earth just to save other folks from themselves .." - Donald Hamilton

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo