1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

SMTP server randomly shutting down

Hello,

I have a Windows 2016 server. I have SMTP setup in IIS. Everyone now and then I have to log onto the server and restart the SMTP Virtual Server in IIS 6.

This causes great headache for us. We've designed our website to send automatic email notification whenever someone agree to our terms of use on our website. We can't have the SMTP server shutting down randomly like this. Why does it do that?
  3. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 2nd Plane (6000 - 6499 posts)

Check the server's event log to see if there are any clues in there as to why it's shutting down.
    Recycle your old CD's

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by kicken
    Check the server's event log to see if there are any clues in there as to why it's shutting down.
    Over the past several days, the Event log has been logging the following error message in the exact same order every time:

"Windows cannot open the 32-bit extensible counter DLL ASP.NET_2.0.50727 in a 64-bit environment. Contact the file vendor to obtain a 64-bit version. Alternatively, you can open the 32-bit extensible counter DLL by using the 32-bit version of Performance Monitor. To use this tool, open the Windows folder, open the Syswow64 folder, and then start Perfmon.exe."

"Disabled performance counter data collection for this session from the "ASP.NET_2.0.50727" service because the performance counter library for that service has generated one or more errors. The errors that forced this action have been written to the application event log."

"The Open Procedure for service "BITS" in DLL "C:\Windows\System32\bitsperf.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the error code."

"The Open Procedure for service "Lsa" in DLL "C:\Windows\System32\Secur32.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the error code."

"Unable to open the Server service performance object. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the status code."

"The Open Procedure for service "WmiApRpl" in DLL "C:\Windows\system32\wbem\wmiaprpl.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the error code."

Just today, it logged these two additional error messages:

"Faulting application name: mmc.exe, version: 10.0.14393.953, time stamp: 0x58ba5cff
    Faulting module name: inetmgr.dll, version: 10.0.14393.953, time stamp: 0x58ba5e0b
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000036fe7
    Faulting process id: 0x8b0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d30aef9035a37a
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\mmc.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\inetmgr.dll
    Report Id: 120753fa-a1fa-4500-97ac-90e59388a23f
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID: "

"Faulting application name: mmc.exe, version: 10.0.14393.953, time stamp: 0x58ba5cff
    Faulting module name: MFC42u.dll, version: 6.6.8063.0, time stamp: 0x57899845
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000000a2ea
    Faulting process id: 0x8b0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d30aef9035a37a
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\mmc.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\MFC42u.dll
    Report Id: 5cae7ccb-517e-46e2-a6e8-552c2ff21d16
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID: "

^ The first one stood out to me because it says the faulting module is inetmgr.dll (I know the SMTP server runs in inetmgr6.exe; does it use inetmgr.dll?)

The faulting application path leads to mmc.exe

What is mmc.exe and why would it crash?
  7. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 2nd Plane (6000 - 6499 posts)

mmc is the host program for things like IIS Manager, Computer management, disk management, etc. Those crashes appear to just be crashes of the management programs not the actual service. The others seem to just be related to performance monitoring. The only thing I see that looks like it might be relevant is the 32- vs 64-bit stuff. Perhaps you have some sort of conflict going on with 32-bit components that is causing the problems.

I've never used the SMTP features of windows so I'm not sure where else to find any information regarding why it's having issues.
    Recycle your old CD's

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  9. Lazy Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The first two look the same problem: trying to use PerfMon x64 with ASP.NET x86 libraries. Try running C:\Windows\SYSWOW64\perfmon.exe instead of the regular one.

The open procedure errors could be something, probably are nothing. Either way they aren't terribly helpful.

mmc.exe is the general management console program - the one that perfmon runs in, and I believe inetmgr too. Any errors sourced to that will be due to errors with whichever plugin was running, but would only happen when mmc is running. Note that inetmgr.dll is the IIS plugin and/or the main IIS library, and MFC42u.dll is probably a generic UI library.

Can you track down the exact time the SMTP service stopped (should be in the event log) and then search for events around that time, both in the general logs as well as SMTP's logs (if there are any) and IIS's?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo