1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Developing iPhone apps w/o Mac

I'd really like to develop some apps for iPhone / iPad, but I don't have a Mac or Win box, I'm running Linux (CentOS to be exact).

I've also been looking at Cordova WebView.

Is it realistic to be thinking about being able to develop anything meaningful without a Mac?
  3. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 2nd Plane (6000 - 6499 posts)

I've been developing an app targeting iOS and android using Cordova. I do most my development just using chrome in mobile-mode with the browser-backend for cordova then just periodically test on actual devices. For the most part what I end up with in the desktop browser transfers to the devices pretty well but occasionally some tweaks are needed.

For iOS specifically as far as I know you really do need a mac. I bought a refurbished MacMini that I just remote into when it's time to build the iOS version. You also need to sign up as a developer for apple and pay them for a signing certificate before you can do much of anything. There are some services online if you search that will build your iOS app for you so you can avoid buying your own mac, but you still need to buy the certificate. It's easier for development/debugging to just have a mac though.

For android you can get by with whatever platform and there no need to pay anyone. Just download the android SDK and add the android platform to cordova.
    Recycle your old CD's

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  5. Contributing User

Thanks.

You're doing the process I've been researching - I like to get my ducks is a row before plunging in.

Cordova looks like what I am looking for, with plugins, I think it will have the functionality I want.

I've been to the Apple Dev site, and and working on that process, they seem to want a Dunn and Bradstreet number for some reason, but I've just aquired one.

But the more I think about it, I might get a used Mac, shouldn't cost that much since I will not need the latest greatest, I'm not developing games and a used one will do...

I want to have apps for what I want to develop for both platforms (although one of my projects is iPad specific since they are used where I work for certain things), and since I have an iPhone and iPad, I may acquire an Android phone for testing.

I'm thinking that emulation in the development phase, but I'll want to test on an actual device as well?

Again, thanks.
  7. No Profile Picture

developing iphone apps without a mac

You can use Intel XDK with that you can develop and publish app for iOS without mac.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo