1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

GPS Tracking Systems Integration App - Is it possible?

I do web app development (coldfusion). My company wants to track the physical location of our employees (we own their phones).

It seems all of the apps out there for GPS tracking have their own GUI and back-end. What I would like is an app that runs quietly in the background of the mobile device (iphones) and periodically sends data to my web app via callback url or directly into the web app's database. It really only needs to send 3 pieces of information: phone number, latitude, longitude. Then my web app can handle map plotting and various other applications.

Is this possible? If so, is it something that would need to be approved by Apple before it can be distributed to the employees' phones? For someone who has no mobile development experience, how hard would it be to develop?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

As far as I know it's possible.

If the phones are rooted you'll have no problem getting it onto them. If they're not rooted, then it's a bit tricky to do without putting the app into the market. With an apple developer certificate I believe they have some method by which you can load an unapproved app onto a phone (to allow debugging). There are some manual steps involved, possibly something like entering an ID from each of the phones when you build the app, but I can't remember exactly what.

Also I believe the official SDK only runs on OS X.

What you're trying to build doesn't sound particularly complicated. I'm pretty sure objective C is quite a bit different from ColdFusion, but if you've ever worked with a C-family language (C/C++/C#/Java/PHP) you should be able to pick it up pretty quickly. There will also be a bit of a learning curve with the SDK; expect to spend at least a few days and possibly a week or so getting that set up and working.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I found the android app GPS Web Broadcaster that appears to do exactly what I need, except that it's for android. Anyone know if an app like this exists for iphone?
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by rawk
    I do web app development (coldfusion). My company wants to track the physical location of our employees (we own their phones).

It seems all of the apps out there for GPS tracking have their own GUI and back-end. What I would like is an app that runs quietly in the background of the mobile device (iphones) and periodically sends data to my web app via callback url or directly into the web app's database. It really only needs to send 3 pieces of information: phone number, latitude, longitude. Then my web app can handle map plotting and various other applications.

Is this possible? If so, is it something that would need to be approved by Apple before it can be distributed to the employees' phones? For someone who has no mobile development experience, how hard would it be to develop?
    Are you intend to build own application and don't need to publish on the app store? I think your problem is quite popular in iOS core concept and it was be solve rapidly if you have a object-C knowledge
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by jin_nguyen
    Are you intend to build own application and don't need to publish on the app store? I think your problem is quite popular in iOS core concept and it was be solve rapidly if you have a object-C knowledge
    I don't intend on publishing the app unless it's absolutely necessary.

I have no experience developing iOS apps. But since it seems no one has published the simple app that I require, I will have to learn.
  11. Contributing User

There is a basic version of what you are looking for in a beginners coding book for linear c. Book is called "ios programming the big nerd ranch guide" by conway and hillegass. I have it on my kindle about half way finished. Check out chapter 5 on MapKit. Should be simple. Theres a free one out there already called 'find my friends'...?

JOhn

I don't intend on publishing the app unless it's absolutely necessary.

I have no experience developing iOS apps. But since it seems no one has published the simple app that I require, I will have to learn.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This is absolutely not possible with an app, unless you are running a custom app on a jailbroken phone. You cannot silently retrieve GPS info and send to an API with the app not open and running. Doesn't matter if you plan on submitting to the store, doing an Adhoc distribution, or an Enterprise distribution, it's unfortunately not possible.

Conversely, this can pretty easily be done if you have the app open and running. No need for MapKit or anything like that, as you can ask the user for permissions on location services, then the GPS location info will stream into your app for whatever uses you require. If you need help with setting something like this up, let me know and I'd be glad to help.
  15. No Profile Picture

It's true regarding the fact that silent GPS tracking is impossible under free licence - 2 reasons for that 1) iphone should run the app so that it could send any data anywhere 2) there is a policy that user should always approve sending his location to anyone anywhere.
    Small notes regarding overall feasibility: the location defined by GPS under app has it's best available sharpness - 2 meters and as you know if you are inside the building that does not work that well.
    Also there is one fact you should probably would be interested to know - Google gives two types of licence for their Map kit available for integrations under mobile - 1) free, integrated widely, map kit allows to point static and each point approved by user running app. 2) paid google licence, 2 years ago it was about 10 k per year, it allows to track location dynamically - and this second one is probably what you need if you can afford that.

jen zorina

WDG

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo