1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cool Mobile Networking questions

Hello,
    I am new to mobile networking between users of the same app on x number of devices.
    If I am creating an app that requires users and groups with users in it that can send & receive messages/small notifications from other users if online or if offline prompt them when they login that they have pending messages, what is the best way to design this? I read a lot about gamecenter for user authentication and multi-user, but it seems to be for games that have achievements and leaderboards, not necessarily multi user apps that are not games. Should I branch and create my own server & database? Seems like a lot of work for simple short messages to and from users in a particular group.
    thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Banned

You guess it right buddy, there is lot of work for this small messaging app. You need to have you concepts clear.

For an example check Whatsapp and hike, these apps will give you bit of idea how things will work. But do not create just copy of these apps, you must have a unique and engaging idea.

All the best.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yep, this won't be an easy task, as it'll have to be developed from scratch. However, nowadays you may not need a server and DB with the task of setting up the tables and APIs. Check out cloud services such as Riak or Parse; these types of services give you the backend you need, which will work great for mobile. Parse especially is great, since it comes with an SDK that you can use.

Using these, you can have your own login mechanism and user base, and you can store messages based on users, etc. There will still be a lot of legwork to get it all functioning, but these types of services will make the backend work infinitely easier.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo