1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Smile Biometric integration with J2EE Spring application

Hi Techies,

I'm a final year Btech student.

As a part of my final year academic project my team is involved in developing a J2EE application for public domain which uses user finger prints as a mechanism of authentiction and approval. But as I'm new to biometrics i'm really confused about biometric integration with web application.

I refered some books and googled a lot but resources available for java biometrics are comparitively low. It will be really helpful if you could provide me with a brief outline

how to integrate java web application with Finger print device
    ,what all supporting API's are available, medium of client- server communication(applet , activex or flash etc.) , storage retrieval and matching of stored templates.

Many of my college mates are also interested in biometrics. I am representing all of them.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

There is no reason that this wouldn't work but you've got your work cut out for you. In effect, you're using something that is similar to the CLIENT-CERT method of authentication for JEE.

The challenge here is less Java and more device drivers. How are you going to "talk" to a hardware device over the web? You'd have to have some sort of device driver to, for example, read the USB port of the client machine and send the data to either a local (i.e. installed on the client machine) program or to your server. This is not trivial - it requires installing the device on the client machine and installing the device driver. If you have a single type of device (say a fingerprint reader) that you're reading from then it might minimize some of the challenges.

On the server side you ultimately have to implement a ServerAuthModule. See this link for the details on how to do that. Ultimately you could use HTTP headers to do something similar.

Overall, the big challenge here is that you need native code - 100% Java is unlikely to work as I don't feel that there is a single API that will work across O/S's for a biometric device.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo