Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Can't uninstall java, can't install java

i had about 7 different versions of java on my computer. checking about it with google, everywhere said you should only have the latest. (I was having some issues and wanted to make sure java wasn't the cause)

so i uninstalled java

apparently it did not uninstall properly.

when i try to install the latest version, i get 'this is already installed'

when i try to re-uninstall, it says it can't find a .dll file it needs.

so if i've uninstalled, why does it think it's already there, and what and where do i have to remove to fix this?

i've done malware and virus and housecall scans, and cleaned the registry using 2 different cleaning programs.

windows 7 version 6.1 (build 7600) yes it's legit
    64 bit computer

right now i'm using IE 32bit. once i get this resolved i will be reinstalling firefox. i checked plugins and it does not show java, but google says IE uses java, so i dunno how it's running without.

edit-
    it seems chrome works "without" my mystery invisible java too
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

I've had several versions on my computer also. Some were even manually installed.
    I can tell you where I put the parts needed to do an "install" and perhaps you can use that info to uninstall. I'm on XP.

There is a java.exe file in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\ folder.

In the registry the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft] and
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft] areas have many java settings.

No idea what would happen if you deleted these Registry entries and the java.exe file and all the folders where the JDK was installed. Perhaps instead of deleting the entries, just rename them out of the way for a test.
  5. No Profile Picture

I feel your pain

I am experiencing the same problem and I would love if someone knew how to fix it. From what I understand, it's a pretty major problem with Java and it's been preventing me from using Java for more than a month now.

To restate the issue:
    1) Java doesn't work on my system
    2) I cannot uninstall Java because the uninstall is broken and throws error 1723
    3) I cannot reinstall Java because it requires that I first uninstall the previous version (see #2 above)
    4) If I force a Java install from an older version, it simply doesn't work
  7. No Profile Picture

Talking

well, i've got it to stop telling me it can't install because it's already installed.

but now in the middle of installing i get an error message, which then stops the installation and exits.

the message says this:

Error 1316.A network error occurred while attempting to
    read from the file C:\Users\Valued Customer\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_25\jre1.6.0_25.msi

I looked, the folders are there, but the file doesn't exist.

why on earth would an install program try to read a file that it didn't put there first???? this doesn't make sense.

on the bright side, I now finally know the correct spelling for "occurred".

---edit----
    oh, and everything seems to be working with the unistalled mystery half installed java so far, haven't tried everything and haven't gotten around to installing all my games on my new puter.

just a thought, could this be an issue with 64 bit?
  9. No Profile Picture

Un-installing java problem

Hi,

Had the same problem myself and used the free Revo Uninstaller and it worked like a charm. It will clear out all the old registry bits and pieces related to the installed Java programmes. Hope this is not too late to be of any value to you.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by mad-dog
    Hi,

Had the same problem myself and used the free Revo Uninstaller and it worked like a charm. It will clear out all the old registry bits and pieces related to the installed Java programmes. Hope this is not too late to be of any value to you.
    Can you tell me exactly how you removed the "bits and pieces" using Revo? I tried to use Revo myself and I can't figure out how to do it.
  13. No Profile Picture

Wink Java and Revo

Originally Posted by Kaido-sama
    Can you tell me exactly how you removed the "bits and pieces" using Revo? I tried to use Revo myself and I can't figure out how to do it.
    When you run Revo and you get to the window showing the registry items you must tick the boxes at the side of all of the "BOLD" highlighted registry items. Click "Next" and everything relating to Java should then be deleted. I then opened "Explorer" went to "Program Files" and found that the Java folder was still showing. I then deleted this as for some reason it still had a small amount of data in it. After that I hadn't a problem re-installing Java and it now functions perfectly. Hope this is clear enough and good luck. By the way, did you manage to run Revo/
  15. No Profile Picture

java

When you run Revo and you get to the window showing the registry items you must tick the boxes at the side of all of the "BOLD" highlighted registry items. Click "Next" and everything relating to Java should then be deleted. I then opened "Explorer" went to "Program Files" and found that the Java folder was still showing. I then deleted this as for some reason it still had a small amount of data in it. After that I hadn't a problem re-installing Java and it now functions perfectly. Hope this is clear enough and good luck. By the way, did you manage to run Revo/
    Yes, I did manage to run Revo, and I also have some questions: did you install Revo after getting the Error 1723 message? How did you get to the window showing the registry? By the way, thanks for asking and thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
  17. No Profile Picture

the revo worked great for me too. thank you ever so much for your advice.

i wasn't aware "uninstall" didn't remove everything. man that sucks. no wonder our registries get mucked.

the revo i found only had a short free trial, am i understanding that there's one that's completely free or did i misread?
  19. No Profile Picture

Revo Uninstaller for free

Originally Posted by RyuB
    the revo worked great for me too. thank you ever so much for your advice.

i wasn't aware "uninstall" didn't remove everything. man that sucks. no wonder our registries get mucked.

the revo i found only had a short free trial, am i understanding that there's one that's completely free or did i misread?
    Hi, you can get Revo for free from cnet.com. Glad to be of help.
  21. No Profile Picture

Revo and a run through it

Yes, I did manage to run Revo, and I also have some questions: did you install Revo after getting the Error 1723 message? How did you get to the window showing the registry? By the way, thanks for asking and thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
    Hi, I've had Revo for around 5 yrs now and found it a very handy tool. If you don't mind I'll just run through the sequence of using Revo.

Open Revo - double click on the programme folder that you want to remove and select "Yes"

In the "Select an Uninstall Mode" window click on "Advanced" (last option) at the bottom of the window. Click on "Next"

"Performing the Initial Analysis and Uninstall" window is next. When the green bar is about 75% showing click on "Yes" in the "Are you sure....." box.

Click "OK" - then click "Next".

The "Scanning for left over Registry Items" window opens. Tick the boxes next to the items in Bold type only.

Click "Next" - click "Yes" in the "Are you sure..." box and then on "Finish". All should then be sorted but don't forget to check out the Java folder in the "Program Files" folder. Right click the Java folder, click on "Properties" (right at the bottom) and see if there is any data left in the folder. Wether there is or not just delete the folder and give yourself a fresh start. Good luck.
  23. No Profile Picture

Hi, I've had Revo for around 5 yrs now and found it a very handy tool. If you don't mind I'll just run through the sequence of using Revo.

Open Revo - double click on the programme folder that you want to remove and select "Yes"

In the "Select an Uninstall Mode" window click on "Advanced" (last option) at the bottom of the window. Click on "Next"

"Performing the Initial Analysis and Uninstall" window is next. When the green bar is about 75% showing click on "Yes" in the "Are you sure....." box.

Click "OK" - then click "Next".

The "Scanning for left over Registry Items" window opens. Tick the boxes next to the items in Bold type only.

Click "Next" - click "Yes" in the "Are you sure..." box and then on "Finish". All should then be sorted but don't forget to check out the Java folder in the "Program Files" folder. Right click the Java folder, click on "Properties" (right at the bottom) and see if there is any data left in the folder. Wether there is or not just delete the folder and give yourself a fresh start. Good luck.
    Thanks for the help, Revo successfully removed the java program from my computer, but now when I try to install the Java verson 6 update 26, it still gives me the pop up that ask if I want to "reinstall" java. When I click yes, it gives another pop up that says (in my own word) cannot perform this function for a program that's not already installed.
  25. No Profile Picture

Revo & reinstall Java

Thanks for the help, Revo successfully removed the java program from my computer, but now when I try to install the Java verson 6 update 26, it still gives me the pop up that ask if I want to "reinstall" java. When I click yes, it gives another pop up that says (in my own word) cannot perform this function for a program that's not already installed.
    Hi, get rid of the Java version that you have, (delete it) and check in the"Add/Remove Programmes" window that Java isn't showing there, though it shouldn't be. If any version of Java remains get rid of it. Check in Windows Explorer that nothing of Java remains. Restart your computer and download the latest version of Java again saving it where you can easily locate it again.

Install Java as normal but avoiding the "reinstall" option if it shows as you want to "install" and not reinstall.

I once uninstalled a programme and after having problems found that there was a "ghost" of it still showing in the "Add/Remove Programmes" window. Once that had been removed all was well once again.

Are you sure that ticked all the bold registry items?

Hope this helps and good luck.
  27. No Profile Picture

Hi, get rid of the Java version that you have, (delete it) and check in the"Add/Remove Programmes" window that Java isn't showing there, though it shouldn't be. If any version of Java remains get rid of it. Check in Windows Explorer that nothing of Java remains. Restart your computer and download the latest version of Java again saving it where you can easily locate it again.

Install Java as normal but avoiding the "reinstall" option if it shows as you want to "install" and not reinstall.

I once uninstalled a programme and after having problems found that there was a "ghost" of it still showing in the "Add/Remove Programmes" window. Once that had been removed all was well once again.

Are you sure that ticked all the bold registry items?

Hope this helps and good luck.
    I understand that you misunderstood me so I'll say it more clearly: the installer simply does not give me the option to simply install the program. period. It only gives me the option to reinstall. so i have to clcik the button yes. when I do, it says invalid for programs not already installed.

so basically java is now uninstalled but i cannot install java on my comp again
  29. Contributing User
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Take a look at post#2. If you're brave enough, use the RegEdit program to look at your registry. Open an command prompt and enter: RegEdit
    Be careful NOT to change anything. See if either of the keys and paths mentioned in post#2 are present.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo