1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy How to create WAR files on a mac?

Hi,

I'm working with a set of files that need to eventually end up as a WAR file for deployment on a server.

These files were previously WAR-ed, and so have all the necessary XML docs etc with them already.

Basically, need to edit the individual files, then WAR everything up again.

Can anyone recommend a way of doing this, or an application (preferably freeware/shareware or trial for the moment) that could help me?

I can work from either OS 9 or OS X to get this done.

Thanks in advance for any help
  3. No Profile Picture

A WAR file is just a jar file that has a specific directory setup. you just use the jar command or program to create it and name it with a war extension.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the reply.

Problem is, I've inherited these files and directory structure from someone obviously working from a PC within something like JBuilder or something, and I haven't a clue what a comparible production environment might be on the mac.

I've been told that a WAR file is just a zip file, but essentially renamed, but that if I'm modifying any JSP pages within the setup, I need to recompile the whole WAR, whereas if I just modify a HTML file, I can just zip and rename again...

Confused!

7. No Profile Picture

You don't actually "compile" the war file but the files within the war file. Changing jsps shouldn't require any recompiling since jsps are compiled by the container (tomcat etc). If you changed some .java files you would need to recompile those into the new .class files and then jar everything up. JSP, HTML and XML files shouldn't require any additional steps.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo