1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question 'Development tools' and 'Where to start'.

Hi there,

We are two students from Holland, we're researching if J2EE is usefull for our company and what kind of changes should be made in the organisation.

We've looked at almost every tutorial, wich we thought would be usefull on the subject "Web Development with J2EE". But the question: "To EJB or not to EJB?" Wasn't really, anwsered.
    Neighter was; Where to start.

What we want; is building a dynamic website with JSP/J2EE, a kind of combination between CMS and a WebPortal. It's only going to be a small part of the total it's hopefully going to be, but we want to do it as professional a possible. This means, that we want to develop a dynamic website that can have more than 5 hits a month, code-re-use, scalabbility and more like those "cool" things.

So we want to know: "How and where do we start?"

If someone could also tell us, wich development tools are good or bad to develop webapplications, we would be very happy.

MaxPayne,
  3. No Profile Picture

How about at http://java.sun.com? You can get all the JDK packages you need and you can get the Sun ONE Studio (f.k.a Forte for Java) Community Edition development tools. This will be enough to get you started.

I can't testify to ease of use or comparison of features or usability to other tools simply because I've never used anything else, except my text editor. I'm sure there are others out there that are better. I just don't know what they are.

After you've spent a week or two getting used to all that then you'll probably need to go after some DBMS and some additional web related components.

I just learning all this stuff too. From what I've found so far I just need to take it slowly so I can take in as much as possible.
  5. No Profile Picture

The place to start is with the architecture, not the technologies. For example, using JSP and J2EE technologies, an MVC (Model-View-Controller) architecture is popular. Model refers to the code that manages data and business logic, View refers to the code for displaying the data, and the Controller handles requests between the two layers. The benefit of an architecture like this is that you can change the technology used one of the three layers without killing the whole code base. Struts is an example of an open-source version of this architecture that can save you a lot of work, but it may not be appropriate for every use.

Hope this helps.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo