1. strongbad dance now
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Difference between JAVA SE or EE

Hi All,

I was wondering what the difference (which one do I want) between JAVA SE and EE.

I'm trying to create a platform independent software, to eventually sell commercially. I would assume I'd need a professional version (EE?) and need to pay some licensing fees. I'll of course be using things like swing, etc.

I've tried to get this information from the Sun website, but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Enterprise edition is largely web based applications. Servlets, JSPs, Java Beans, etc. You can put a swing or applet front on a j2ee application but the bulk of the application is still going to be something server based that a bunch of people have to connect to.

J2SE is mostly for local applications that don't require enterprise servers behind them.

Comments on this post

• TaronDcross agrees : Thanks, I was trying to find a straight answer on se versus ee
    Dear God. What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring.
  5. strongbad dance now

Originally Posted by crownjewel82
    Enterprise edition is largely web based applications. Servlets, JSPs, Java Beans, etc. You can put a swing or applet front on a j2ee application but the bulk of the application is still going to be something server based that a bunch of people have to connect to.

J2SE is mostly for local applications that don't require enterprise servers behind them.
    Thanks Crown. I've been trying to determine weather I need a client/server realtionship or not. I probably will as I'll probably need to incorporate a database as well, so I guess I may need the enterprise in the end.
  7. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Database doesn't necessarily require enterprise. The big thing you should be associating with enterprise is server.

Comments on this post

• bkolts agrees
    Dear God. What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring.
  9. strongbad dance now

Originally Posted by crownjewel82
    Database doesn't necessarily require enterprise. The big thing you should be associating with enterprise is server.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I'm aware of that, I guess by saying database, I was being to vague, I'm talking about one database multiple users would access. Thus my thinking of client server in the future.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

For multi-user accessing the single database tier, database client-server driver is the component that your java code talk to, you don't manage that communication. So from your code, you are going to use the jdbc driver. (J2SE)

For example, if you want to access an Oracle database server from a remote client, you need to have the oracle client installed on the remote machine.

Unless you are going to EJB... then that's a different story. (J2EE)
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

The big thing you should be associating with enterprise is server.

I think enterprise should probably be associated with servers. I say servers and not server, because j2se has classes to handle client to server connections and what not. In addition to just jsps/servlets, j2ee has a lot of classes to handle server-to-server communications; as well as fooling an application into thinking it’s talking to one server (instead of a cluster), or to no server at all! I think that's where the big difference comes in.
    That’s my interpretation of “Enterprise” in this context. Sometimes the definitions of these buzzwords that everyone seems to know is hard to nail down

Comments on this post

• crownjewel82 agrees : Thanks for the elaboration.
    • bkolts agrees : Thanks!
    Last edited by tfecw; August 11th, 2006 at 11:04 AM.
    Open for extension, closed for modification
  15. strongbad dance now

Originally Posted by tfecw
    I think enterprise should probably be associated with servers.
    That helps a bunch! I'm pretty sure I want SE now. the question is, if this does seem to go the route of EE in the future... It should be eay to convert right? I mean java is java right? Just a difference in the methods I use?

Oh yeah, and I thought I'd share something I just read that cracked me up...

"Java is related to javascript the same way car is related to carpet" don't know how to credit for that
  17. AYBABTU
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

If you manage to create transparency between the different layers in your application, it should be fairly easy to convert your J2SE application to a J2EE setup.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    Douglas Adams
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by wsa1971
    If you manage to create transparency between the different layers in your application, it should be fairly easy to convert your J2SE application to a J2EE setup.
    i'm still confused about it....what's your suggestion if i want to build a system based on network use....the example is bank's online system transaction.....

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo