1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

For those familiar with Java and Objective-C

I am brand new to programming, you have been warned.

In the next couple months I am enrolling in a University extension certificate program in Objective-c. Introduction to Objective-c is the first of four courses. This course does require a beginner programming course as a pre-req although the University says this is not entirely necessary.

I am considering starting off with the introduction to programming (not the same as the Intro. to OBJ-C) course offered by the University. My question is, because the introduction to programming course primarily teaches Java, will this become a hindrance when I take the introduction to objective-c course immediately after.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Code:
    will this become a hindrance when I take the introduction to objective-c course immediately after.
    I would seriously doubt it.

If the class is called "Introduction to Objective-c" then most likely it's going to focus on introducing syntax and the standard library. This most likely means that the course will only assume that you have a decent understanding of algorithms and other programing concepts/styles. (You might want to check a syllabus to confirm this)

If you do focus on Java, switching to Objective-C shouldn't be but so hard. Both languages inherit from C and both are object oriented. This means that most of the concepts you learn in Introduction to Programming can be easily carried over (minus some syntax of course)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo