1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Forwarding JSP to a Frame

I am a JSP newbie (although an expert in Java and PHP). I am trying to forward a JSP to a specific frame of a frameset.

Can anyone enlighten me on how to do this?

Thanks in advance!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Clueless llama
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

The frame that submits the request is the frame that will be redirected. If you have one frame with some controls and another frame to show the data, there are several ways to get around this. If you are using a link or a form, you can use the 'target' attribute to let the browser know where to display the results. This is probably the easiest way.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Very cool -- thank you. Now, what happens if I have a service that has a thread running that needs to post information to a frame.

Thanks again...
  7. No Profile Picture
    Clueless llama
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Just like with PHP, you cannot "push" information to the browser. The browser can only request info. This is a classic dilemma with web apps. There are several workarounds, none of them optimal.

You can make an applet to display the data. Applets can act like normal clients in a client/server architecture (where the client can receive updates from the server and vice versa). This takes a special kind of applet/server communication though.

Next best is to make the frame/browser request new information at certain intervals. You can do this using javascript or a meta tag. This is exactly the same as if a user was clicking refresh every so many seconds.

Supposedly IBM has come out with a "portal" technology based on servlets that addresses a situation similar to this. I know little to nothing about it. I believe you need a Portal server to run them though. I do not know how they get around pushing the data to the client. For all I know they use one of the two techniques I mentioned.

I think MS has something called DataBinding that you can do in IE, but I no nothing about it. It may not even address this problem.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo