1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Getting the smallest value

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to display the smallest number from a set of numbers that user inputs in.. Can anyone help point out what I'm doing wrong in my code?

Code:

I apologize if it's not indented properly, it's hard to do it on the forum..

Anyways, as it is: if I input numbers: 55, -13, 24 -> it will give me 24 as the smallest number.

If I remove the first "smallest = input;" it gives my -13 -> which is right BUT the logic is wrong.. It's saying since smallest = 0 is smaller than 55 it won't assign smallest to be equal to whatever input is (in this case 55).

I need it to assign input to the first number (e.g 55) and then compare that to the rest of the numbers...

----

Now, if I try the excepts, I just get a bunch of errors..
    Last edited by spabvu90; August 8th, 2013 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Solved
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by spabvu90
    Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to display the smallest number from a set of numbers that user inputs in.. Can anyone help point out what I'm doing wrong in my code?

Code:

I apologize if it's not indented properly, it's hard to do it on the forum..

Anyways, as it is: if I input numbers: 55, -13, 24 -> it will give me 24 as the smallest number.

If I remove the first "smallest = input;" it gives my -13 -> which is right BUT the logic is wrong.. It's saying since smallest = 0 is smaller than 55 it won't assign smallest to be equal to whatever input is (in this case 55).

I need it to assign input to the first number (e.g 55) and then compare that to the rest of the numbers...

----

Now, if I try the excepts, I just get a bunch of errors..
    Hello.. code, code.. where are you?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by noobie1000
    Hello.. code, code.. where are you?
    Oh that's because I already solved it. If you looked at the edit revision note at the end of the post..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo