1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Im afraid to develop a system in JSP

I have seen yesterday a system build entirely with JAVA and it runs veeeeery slow, i imagine that the project guy and the programers made a lot of mistakes but it scares me. Im studing java, jsp, servlets, beans for 5 weeks and i dont feel ready to begin the project im suposed to do, but thats ok, i knew since the beggining that JAVA isnt easy as others languages and will require a lot more of study. I have experience creating projects and programming in Progress. My project will be a system that already exists in progress, recreate him in a web version. The system will use more than 50 tables and a lot of screens, reports, a lot of users conected at the same time and im suposed to be the projectist cause i know the entire system very well. Im not under pressure from my bosses, they know it will take a very long time to be created and running but im afraid ive made a bad choice with JSP cause i have no experience with JAVA, i want to know what experienced guys think about this doubt.

Sorry about the long text
  3. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Java is a good choice, definitely not for fast development, but excellent for robust, extendible and integrable systems.
    Use a mix of jsp, servlets and beans for (a bit more) speed.
    If you want a "quick and dirty" solution use php or asp.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanx for the reply but maybe i didnt express myself well. My doubt is if is possible that somebody without experience in Java can lead a project like this and do it run fine. I know that this kind of system is viable with Java technologies but it can be a total failure if the job isnt well done.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Clueless llama
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

If you are unsure whether Java is the right choice based on your inexperience - well, that may or may not be. If you are an experienced OOP programmer but just don't know Java, you might be ok. If you are learning Java and Object oriented techniques at the same time, it is going to take you a while. This still does not mean it is the wrong choice, only that you need proper expectations. If you are NOT experienced in Object Oriented Programming then you would be well served to learn it.
  9. No Profile Picture

I feel better to hear that Nemi, thanx. I already know about OO but never implemented something OO. Well, i will continue with my studies in Java technologies more confident again.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Mentat of IX

I would have had the same question a few weeks ago , i guess .
    Time's running out though and it looks like i'll use jsp + openSSL 128 bit encription for the aplication i would have had the question for :P

well ... i'll let u know how slow it is :P
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I've worked on a large project using Java servlets without the help of JSP. JSP is just a special purpose set of servlets so I see no difference.

If you pick your algorithms correctly you shouldn't have a performance problem. We found that 99% of the time was spent accessing the database, not in the java code.

So make sure your database queries are optimised, and use binary sorts instead of bubble sorts, and hastables instead of linear searches and you should have no problem.

We ran and developed the application on a 486 machine before deploying it onto a multiprocessor server and we couldn't tell the difference. I think the only thing to watch is memory usage.
    --

ngibsonau
  15. No Profile Picture

You should do a little bit of research before you begin your project. Build a complicated system purely out of JSP would be insane. But if you use a framework, use MVC (Model/View/Controller) you should be able to build a robust system pretty quickly.l

I would suggest that you build your application using a framework called Struts. Or Turbine both of these are free frameworks that will allow you to quickly develop your application.

And to make your application even easier to build use Object/Relational mapping tool

Dan Jaffa
  17. No Profile Picture
    Mentat of IX

I've started the development on the application i need to build and so far I've decided on using JSP + JavaScript ( for the GUI ) and javaBeans to handle the database interaction .

I hope this takes me into the right direction . I've also picked up a Jakarta Struts book , to learn some more on it , since it seems to be a good ideea
  19. No Profile Picture
    Mentat of IX

so far so good , we're half way through the application , the postgres DB it's still not fully optimised however the online Java application works faster than the local crappy Access + VB app that we're redesigning
  21. No Profile Picture

Are you using Struts or scriptletts in your code
  23. No Profile Picture
    Mentat of IX

we found that the application is too basic for that , and we're mostly following the Model 1 design pattern for this one .
    Basically JSP + javascript pages calling javaBeans for database access and business logic .

I'm gonna take my time and really go in depth on J2EE practices before the next application I have to produce , but so far , this has been working surprisingly well and fast ( hope it stays that way heh )
  25. No Profile Picture

Well zapa, i hope you do not learn the hard way. But i have been on to many "basic appliations" to ever belive business users. Remember that you are not just coding for today but also for 2 years down the road. The Easier you make you app now, the better off you will be.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Mentat of IX

heh , thanks for the tip

Yea , I hope I don't learn the hard way myself , but for what it matters we've been taking all the precautions posible , and making the code as simple as posible with this model .

To be honest with you ( even thogh i'm sure it's allready obvious ) this is my first java App , and I think that it will also be the last one under Model 1 .
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you are in a windows platform forget java and make your web app in .net/c#. It will run much faster and you'll get it done in half the time

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo