1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I'm new to Java and I'm looking for someone to help me with an app..

I started learning java on my own a week ago. I want to write an application, but I can't really do it. I have lots of problem with timers and actionevents...

The app should open a window (let it be 800x600) which has a button. The button on click should count down from 3 (display it) and start a game. During the game, this button should change to have STOP function (not pause, but reset to a new game). The game lasts 60 seconds and the app should draw red circles at random positions. There is always 1 circle on the screen and their lifetime should be easily toggled, but let it be 1 second by default. The user should click on the circles. If the user hits a circle:
    - the circle changes to yellow color
    - the app displays the earned points under the circle like "+xy points"
    - the app draws the next circle.
    Meanwhile, the yellow circle stays visible for a second ALONG with the earned points and then they should disappear together.
    The user should get points like this: 1000 - the time elapsed of the circle's lifetime (in mlliseconds ofc). So if you click in 200 msec, you should get 800 points.
    If you misclick you should get -100 points. If you miss a circle (don't click on it and disappears) you should get -200 points. The screen should have a little section for statistics like:
    - circles hit
    - circles missed
    - misclicks
    - points (without penalties)
    - penalties
    - overall personal record

Once the time is up, the game stops drawing circles and tells "Time's up.
    In this case, the button should say "Play again".
    Another textbox should display the last 10 games' results (total points only).

I'd really thankful if someone would write this app for me As simple as possible and with explanations as well.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

LOL!

Comments on this post

• ishnid disagrees : This isn't exactly contributing to the conversation, is it? Either explain (like Jacques did below) what's so funny, or feel free to just ignore the thread.
    Last edited by Lottoplus; October 24th, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
  5. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

OK, so you want to hire a programmer.

But I don't really understand the purpose of this all. If you're using Java only since a week now and cannot write this program on your own, then what do you expect to learn from it? Why not start with small things that you can do yourself and do the big projects later?

Comments on this post

• ishnid agrees
  7. No Profile Picture

-

In my honest opinion, examples can be the best teachers.
    Also, I thought that this wouldn't take more than 30 minutes to write for a good programmer and I've seen much more complicated codes on other sites.
    I weren't going to use this application anywhere. It's not for a school-project (we aren't even learning anything like this at all) or a friend of mine. I only wanted to see how Real programmers would do this, since mine looked like a big mess for me. I couldn't even finish it after all.

In this case:
    - I'm sorry if I asked too much.
    - I'll try to "hire a programmer"

If that doesn't work for any reason, then I'll make it on my own.

Thanks for the replies, have a nice day!
  9. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

The thing is that a request of the type "I need this and that, please do it for me" comes off as pretty disrespectful. I mean, that's like going to your neighbor and asking him to do your laundry for "it doesn't take more than 30 minutes".

As a newbie programmer you might not know this, but programming is actual work. Even if the task doesn't take more than 30 minutes (which I highly doubt), it still means that somebody has to sit down for half an hour, think this through and write it down. Why would anybody do that?

So I think there are basically two possibilties: If you have concrete questions about your own code and how to improve it, you'll certainly find somebody who's willing to help you. But if you just want complete code to learn from, you should indeed hire a programmer (yes, this might include paying him).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo