Thread: Java Beans???

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Java Beans???

I have just began to develope Java Beans. I bought the book by the Sun Press "Core Web Programming" and "JavaBeans". When I began developing the beans, I read that I needed a container for the beans. I downloaded and installed OpenEJB. It works great but it also has confused me. Are there different types of beans? If so, what are the differences? The reason I ask is that I can deploy some beans without using the OpenEJB container but some beans HAVE to have the container to run. I'm confused and I'd like some info. Thanks, Jeremy
    If you can't figure it out yourself, suck it up and ask someone else.

DeveloperKB
  3. No Profile Picture
    Java Developer

Hi Scocby,

Yes there are 2 sorts of beans

1) Java Beans
    and
    2) Enterprise Java Beans (EJB)

1) JavaBeans are usually just recepticles for data that you have aquired regarding the http request, and are used in the JSP page to form the dynamic sections of the response

2) Enterprise Java Beans on the other hand come in 2 basic flavours. The first (session beans) of which is usually just a way to either store user session info, or facilitate frequently processed instructions. The second (entity beans) are a means of accessing a data source (i.e a MYSQL database)

You are wanting to use the first of these. If you continue to persue java (particularly the J2EE side of it) then you will almost certainly come accross EJB at some point though. If I were you I'd forget about OpenEJB for the moment, at use tomcat or jetty, which are both very good and free.

Hope this helps
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I didn't think that Tomcat was an EJB container? I am already using Tomcat and that would explain the fact that my EJB are working when they shouldn't be. Thanks for your help, Jeremy

DeveloperKB
  7. No Profile Picture
    Java Developer

Just to clarify...you are using java beans (JB) which are supported by tomcat. You are not using Enterprise Java Beans (EJB), which are not supported tomcat. for EJB you need a container such as OpenEJB or JBoss. You will not want to use EJB so leave these alone
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks

Thanks for your response. That's what I thought. Can you tell me what distinguishes a JavaBean from an Enterprise JavaBean? What makes them different? Also, what does an Enterprise JavaBean need that a JavaBean doesn't. I don't understand. Thanks for your help, Jeremy

DeveloperKB
  11. No Profile Picture
    Java Developer

It is a bit silly that EJB and JB are even both called beans in my opinion, as they are not closely linked at all in my opinion

JB are used to make JSP more powerful and enable them to use data more effectively...as I'm sure you are learning

EJB on the other hand are like services that can be attacthed to and perform a task, such as a calculation, some database access or something else, and then are disconnected from. They are often used in distributed (i.e. using more than one machine) system. Or to give all services a common point of entry

Hope this makes sense
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks

Thanks a bunch. I understand a bit more now. Thanks again, Jeremy

DeveloperKB

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo