1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Java console and system tray icon missing

Hello folks.

I noticed tonight that my Java consoles and system tray icons have gone missing. It is happening on 3 different computers running Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.

I checked "Control Panel"/Java/Advanced Settings and made certain that "Java console"/"Show console" and Miscellaneous/"Place Java icon in system tray" were both enabled. I also tried doing Windows restarts. Nothing brought the console or icon back. The other system tray icons are all still there.

I did some Google searching and searching this site, but could not find anything about this problem.

Does anybody know what is causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture

Has anybody else seen this problem on any of their computers, or are my three computers the only ones?
  5. No Profile Picture

I have seen this (or something similar) happen. What resolved it for me was to set Java console > Show console to Hide console. The icon should still display in the tray if you have Miscellaneous > Place Java icon in system tray set. Close all browser sessions if you are dealing with a browser based app, then run you app again. After the icon shows up in the system tray you can repeate the steps and set the Java Console to Show Console.
    Ray
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks Ray.

I'm sorry about the long delay replying.

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried it, but unfortunately it didn't work for me.

I eventually did find a different work-around that works for me. If I execute a FAULTY Java program which produces an error, AND I launch it from a Windows program, not a DOS CMD console window, then both the Java console and the Java system tray icon appear. After that things seem to operate normally.

For what it's worth...
  9. No Profile Picture

Hmmm, you are aware that the Java icon only displays in the system tray when a Java program is active? Ignore the following if you were already aware of this.

For example, you could try this URL (my Java based product DiskFerret Lite that runs as an applet in the browser). When you run DiskFerret Lite, the Java icon will display in the system tray, then when you close your browser session (actually all of your browser sessions if you have more than one open), the Java icon is removed from the system tray.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Ray Newman
    Hmmm, you are aware that the Java icon only displays in the system tray when a Java program is active?

I was not fully aware of that. I thought that a permanent resident piece of the Java system would be running and show a system tray icon whether any Java programs were running or not, but that each new Java program started would add an additional icon. That second part does seem to be true.

Originally Posted by Ray Newman
    Ignore the following if you were already aware of this.

For example, you could try this URL (my Java based product DiskFerret Lite that runs as an applet in the browser). When you run DiskFerret Lite, the Java icon will display in the system tray, then when you close your browser session (actually all of your browser sessions if you have more than one open), the Java icon is removed from the system tray.
    I was curious, so I ran your program. It was interesting. Thanks. The icon and console behavior were as you described.

My program does the same thing when I run it as a web page applet. But when I run the stand-alone version from a DOS CMD window, with

java (main-class)<Enter>

the behavior is different. The program starts fine, and runs fine, but neither a system tray Java icon nor a Java console appear for it. If there are errors then they are output to the DOS window, but I want to check things before any error happens.

At one point I had two instances of your DiskFerret Lite open and I noticed that there were two Java consoles displayed. It made me realize that these are really Java program consoles, not Java system consoles. There seems to be one console for each running program. If that's true then my work-around doesn't help me, because I would be looking at the console of the wrong Java program. Does that make sense?
  13. No Profile Picture

That makes sense and I believe that you are correct. The system tray java icons are per process.

The reason that you don't get an icon in the system tray when executing from a command prompt is that the command window is your console.

I was thinking that using javaw (instead of java) to run a desktop application would make the java icon show up in the system tray, but that does not appear to be the case.

It seems that the java console is only available for applets running with Java Plug-in and applications running with Java Web Start.
  15. No Profile Picture

If the command prompt window is the console then it's very limited compared to the regular one. It doesn't provide any of the Java console commands while the Java program is running. All I could get it to do was terminate the Java program if I pressed a ^C, and redisplay the command prompt after.

I guess I'll have to live with it.

Thanks for all your help.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo