1. No Profile Picture
    PHP/PERL/.NET Coder
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

java install!?! ARRG

Ok,

for the last 4 days I have been trying to install jdk, tomcat and whatever connector(jserv?) is required to tie this all into apache. I am also confused as to how all these packages work together? I have used PHP and PERL for about 3 years now and I want to start developing in additional languages, especially java so that I can make some cool web based applications.

does anyone have the address of how to go about installing and configuring all these packages? the documentation seems to be very spread over multiple different packages.

i have installed jdk and set the JAVA_HOME path, i then installed tomcat and started it with bin/startup.sh

it starts up fine, one problem i am seeing though is that it is using an extensive amount of mem % usage in top. each process says it's using 60% mem usage? this can't be correct can it?

if anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. thank you very much.
    "Mankind cannot define memory, yet it defines mankind"
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

your output of top can be caused by a process rapidly spawning new processes. then you get a sum other than 100% since top is too slow to make a "snapshot" of the running processes.

of course you cannot use more than 100% memory
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

jserv is obsolete
    mod_jk is the needed module.
  7. No Profile Picture
    PHP/PERL/.NET Coder

i obtained a module called mod_webapp.so

according to the tutorial by kevin yank on sitepoint.com? what is the difference in the two?

once i obtain the module, how do i install it?
    "Mankind cannot define memory, yet it defines mankind"

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo