Thread: Java and J2EE

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Java and J2EE

I'm looking into taking a computer language class. I'm interested in programming, and more importantly, employment. I was reading an article that said Java and J2EE are the two most in-demand languages (for new jobs). Any recommendations as to which I should look into further? Do you need Java experience for J2EE? Also, what are the main uses for these two?

Thanks,
    -Adam
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I'd say you have some more reading to do. Java and JEE (a.k.a J2EE) are indeed related. JEE, the Java Enterprise Edition, is a large set of libraries built on top of JSE (Java Standard Edition, a.k.a. Java). There is no JEE without JSE/Java.

JSE is used as a basis for JEE and Android phone programming. It is a general purpose library that has everything from file i/o to creating graphical user interfaces. JEE is traditionally aimed at web-based applications and can help with integration with other sources of data like databases and external services.

Having developed in Java for the last 14+ years I would say that it is likely to remain a popular language for a bit more. However, nothing is forever. A single educational class in Java is, in my opinion, not enough. A general computer science degree would teach you the fundemental concepts well enough that you could move into Java or just about any other programming language.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by stdunbar
    I'd say you have some more reading to do.

A general computer science degree would teach you the fundemental concepts well enough that you could move into Java or just about any other programming language.
    I agree w/ you about doing more reading! I did some after this post, which was written a bid prematurely. I'm thinking that Javascript might be what I'm looking for.. as it can be used for web pages as well as Apps (atleast web based ones).

I've taken some computer classes in the past, UNIX, HTML, some C+, and picked it up pretty quick. That was over 10 years ago, though! I'm not that up to date on the latest computer tech, but I'm looking to get back into it.

I basically want to create interactive web based stuff. If anyone has suggestions on some links w/ good info to get me started, it'd be appreciated.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Java is simple: Java was designed to be easy to use and is therefore easy to write, compile, debug, and learn than other programming languages.

J2EE : is a multi platform that supports both language and web services and therefore makes it a popular option for most Java application development solutions.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo