1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I am about to design an internet site, with a lot of different objects and classes. It maybe possible to implement it using MySQL and PHP, but doing it that way would totally destroy my beautyfull analysis of the system, so I wonder whether there was a Java - way of doing it.
    But what are the advantegies/disadvantegies by doing it by the use of JavaServerPages or Java Servlets instead of MySQL and PHP.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi mortena,

I would have to say that you should seperate the technology you use to implement your site in from your analysis. It's absolutely possible to do OOAD and implement using PHP and MySQL. The real question when trying to decide which technology to implement your site in should be 'How is my site going to be used'. Your use cases should cover the how.

If there is a tremendous ammount of server side work that needs to be done (e-commerce type sites), or you need to interface with other systems (via CORBA, etc...), you probably want to implement using Servlets.

However, there's nothing wrong with using PHP -> MySQL for lighter server side processing, where your goal might just be serving dynamic web pages.

Hope this helps.

[Edited by sturg on 02-06-2001 at 10:55 AM]
    --
    John Sturgeon <><
    johns@senareider.com
    http://www.senareider.com/technology.php
  5. No Profile Picture

I think, that my project is so big, that it is the best to implement it in JSP. I actually bought JavaServer Pages from O'Reilly. In that book they mention another book JavaServer Programming from O'Reilly. Is that worth investing in?

Thanks
    Morten Andersen
    Denmark

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo