I'm trying to secure my web application via apache's SSL functionality. I have apache sitting in front of Tomcat, and the two are comminucating via mod_webapp. Things appear to be set up correctly as I can access my entire application with https.

However, as soon as I add

<user-data-constraint>
<transport-guarantee>CONFIDENTIAL</transport-guarantee>
</user-data-constraint>

I get a null pointer exception whenever I try to access my web application.

2002-04-11 11:39:59 WarpEngine[develop.streetmail.com]: Mapping request
2002-04-11 11:39:59 WarpHost[develop.streetmail.com]: Mapping request for Host
2002-04-11 11:39:59 [org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpRequestHandler]
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.checkUserData(AuthenticatorBase.java:702)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:491)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:472)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2343)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:180)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:170)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:170)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:174)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpRequestHandler.handle(WarpRequestHandler.java:217)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnection.run(WarpConnection.java:194)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

The line where the exception occurs looks like this:

int redirectPort = request.getConnector().getRedirectPort();

Looks to me like the request object is returning a null??