1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question How does NBC5i do it? (JSP, Video streaming, framesets, iframes)? Help appreciated!

Hi all,

In a few months I plan to embark on a moderately big project involving audio, video and ads streaming.

For the record, I have (intermediate) experience in PHP, MySQL, Oracle RDBMS, Java2 and minor C and C++.

Although, I have zero knowledge about JSP, so I need some help here..

I like to learn by example, and NBC5i's "feedroom" has caught my interest.

(I've divided the thread into sections to make it less confusing.)

Go to http://nbc5i.feedroom.com/frameset.jsp .

1.0:
    -----
    You'll notice that you cannot right click anywhere inside the window except for the outer edges.

I thought, okay, JavaScript right-click killer. So I clicked (IE) "View --> Source" but it shows me that the page contains four "iframes", no JavaScript there, and absolutely no content.

From the iframes, I can see that the addresses are as follows:

Go ahead and view the sources for all four pages. No JavaScripts!

So how did they disable right-clicking?

2.0:
    -----
    The second intriguing thing is that none of the iframes pointed to a "real" page with real content, giving the first one an exception since it shows the navigation panel.

But where is the video stream page? That's exactly what I wanted to find out, yet it was nowhere to be seen!

Can someone explain to me what is going on here?

What I was trying to do, FYI, is find out what streaming they are using (WMV or RM), if they are using a different streaming service like RBN and also if I was able to download the streams, or if all I could download was a stream file (you know, those 200+KB files that still require you to connect to the net, thus a stream).

3.0:
    -----
    Off topic, but could anyone lead me to any links or tips regarding cooking up my own stream-capable website just by using pure PHP or JSP coupled with databases and not having to buy streaming software which costs US$2000?

I'd like to stream RealVideo and RealAudio.

-----
    The help would be greatly appreciated. I hope to see some helpful advice and/or answers soon..

Thanks and cheers!
    Last edited by Kaizer; October 17th, 2002 at 12:04 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo