1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Please help a noob out with java.

Greetings.
    I'm currently facing a problem that has me pulling out my hair . My windows 7 home premium laptop does not seem to be able to recognize or mark .jar files as executable. As such I am unable to run the program somehow. However, when on my desktop, it works perfectly. I made the association of the .jar file to the "java(jm) platform binary se" in the program files java folder (javaw.exe). The .jar file type turns to "executable jar file". I can easily double click on the jar and run the program.
    But on the laptop, it doesnt change anything. The jar file is still a .jar file only, and double clicking it opens up a command screen that shutsdown a split second later.
    Are there any settings changes I should be making in the OS?
    Thanks for hearing me out.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

The filetype association table need to have the java.exe command with the -jar option.
    I don't know how to add the -jar option to the command line in the association table.

How did you install the JRE on the laptop? That should have added an entry to the association table.

If you know how to use the regedit command you could look in the registry and see what is there.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo