1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Program don't run with latest Java 7 install

I have used an old Java-based program called TeamStats for updating hockey and football tables for websites and such. But it doesn't work anymore with the latest update of Java 7 u 25.

It doesn't matter if I use Explorer, Google or Firefox. All I got is error messages. Other applets seem to work but not this one. What can I do? I do need this TeamStats program.

What I see when i try to acces the page with the league table is a white square where the applet is and a message in the corner which says : Error. Click for details.

The message I get when i click on "Error. Click for details" is:

access denied ("java .io.File Permission" "E: My Documents\My Websites\Leaguetables\data\czehockey.txt"read"
    The textfile mentioned is the textfile with the results from the league, in this case the Czech Hockey league.

This Java applet has worked since 1998 during all updates of Java. Why doesn't it work now?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Things have changed a lot since 1998 and you will probably need to recode it

Also there is now php, ruby, pearl, and python which can do what you want but much easier then using java to do it

Comments on this post

• stdunbar disagrees : He didn't write this - suggesting another development environment is useless.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Can you describe how you execute the java code? Where are the html files and class files located? It looks like the applet is trying to read a file from a local disk on your PC.
    That has almost always required the applet to have permission. Have you given the applet permission to do that?
    I don't currently have java 7 u 25 for testing.
  7. No Profile Picture

I'm sorry that I have to enter this thread with an out of topic comment but I'm writing this on behalf of Northpower98 who can't log in to this forum because of the lost password option not working.

When Northpower98 tried to log in on Sunday, he got the reply that it was wrong password although he's sure that he did write the right one. When he used the lost password option, he got automatic replies but not a new password which is necessary to log in. After trying this option 6 times without success, he called for help, which is me, to log in and try to sort out things. How do I contact the webmaster to sort this out?

Northpower98 will be back to continue informing about this Java 7 issue as soon as he can log in.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo