1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I intend to install JSP/Java Servlets on some of my servers to provide this environment for customers.

I have the distinct need for some advice here so as to make sure I get it right first time.

Can anyone please point me in the direction of a resource specifically dealing with this?

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Cheers.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm not sure how basic you want to get, so forgive me if this is too simple...

You will need a Java Server engine...I recommend Tomcat. It can be installed in pretty much any environment. {Check out http://.jakarta.apache.org/tomcat for the FREE download and a ton of information...documentation, mailing lists, etc.} Should be able to get all the help you need.

This provides the environment to run and serve Servlets and .JSPs. If you want to use EJB, you will need an additional tool like JBoss (also FREE, but I haven't installed it yet.)

I would also look into a good book like "Core Servlets and JavaServer Pages" by Marty Hall.

If this was too basic, I apologize.

Good luck,
    Joel
  5. No Profile Picture

Wink thanks!

No... not too basic at all.

I will install tomcat, which I am familiar with, but I assumed, possibly incorrectly, that the other available options may have been noted somewhere without too much experimentation being required.

I will look for the book you recommend, and thanks again for taking the time.

Cheers..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo